Starboard have recently launched their 2014 range, check out the overview over on our sister site Boardseeker here. Now, let’s take a closer look at one of the boards that could, and should, prove very popular in the UK.
The Carve has been a staple shape in the Starboard range for the last few years now, a firm favourite with many riders due to it’s easy riding, fast feel but good turns. it’s all round one of the most user friendly boards on the market.
So, what’s different with the 2014 model?
“As freeride boards, the Carves are designed to be fast, exciting and fun, while delivering their best performance regardless of rider skill:
“We call it Plug and Play.
“Last year, the Carves went on average 8% slimmer for better stability and wind range.
“This year, Rémi Vila, designer of the Carves, went 8% slimmer again. The thickness has been reduced in specific areas of the board to boost control and provide more sensations and more responsiveness without affecting comfort. The rocker has also been reworked, eliminating the tail kick and introducing a longer flat and longer side-cuts. The result is a board which is smoother and more effortless to get on the plane while improving control in the chop as well as top-end speed.
“To improve gybing, the rails are now softer between the straps where foot pressure is applied to jibe. This softer rail shape is achieved by adding about 1 cm of width in this area without changing the sharp-edge outline of the board. The straight-line characteristics are not affected significantly but the softness of the rail now allows for easier jibing initiation.
Overall, the 2014 Carves require less effort and technique than before but delivers more performance and fun.
(1) Wide outline for stability and manoeuvrability, moderately long length allows for easy “passive” planing and a stable ride
(2) NEW! 8% thinner profile again in selected areas for added control and responsiveness
(3) NEW! Softer rails up of this section help engage the jibe while sharper rails in the back provide speed out of the jibe
(4) NEW! Faster rocker without any tail kick and a longer flat for improved top-end speed and easier “passive” planing
(5) NEW! Cut-aways with longer side cuts to improve top speed and acceleration
Available in AST, Wood and Carbon