Thought about heading abroad this summer but not quite made it yet? August is slipping by and soon we will be into the British Autumn, so why not head overseas to make to most of the remaining sunshine?
Here’s our top 10 reasons to holiday this summer!
- WIND!While the UK may be privy to the odd summer storm, it is the reliable winds of many of the European and worldwide destinations that can provide you with hours and hours on the water.
- Equipment:We all hear about the latest board, sail or fin on the market but sometimes it’s tricky to know what to buy. Heading to a windsurfing centre where they have an abundance of new gear is the perfect way to find your new perfect gear.
- Bikinis and Boardshorts: It’s very rare that in the UK you can windsurf, in decent wind, in anything less than a 3 2 long leg suit. The odd days may come through when a shorty will suffice, but a board short day is fairly rare. Abroad it can be board short day everyday! And there’s nothing like the feeling of blasting out on clear blue seas wetsuit free.
- Speedy Progression:More hours on the water in one week that you may get in a a few months back home, plus expert instruction, can mean only one thing. You WILL progress exceptionally quickly. Whatever your level, whether you are just learning or nailing skopus, a windsurfing holiday will see rocket to the next level.
- Party Hard or Relax and Unwind:Whatever you want to do off the water, and who ever you are holidaying with there is an option for everyone. Some locations are well know for a crazy party scene, some provide excellent facilities for the whole family, some are cheap and cheerful, whilst others can see you in five star luxury.
- Culture:Yes sometimes even windsurfers can and should be cultured. Just because you are on a windsurfing holiday doesn’t mean you can’t soak up the usual tourist cultural experiences too, just pack them into the odd light wind day or when your body is feeling a little worse for wear.
- Tan Lines: On no other type of holiday will you be able to get such great tan lines. Whether it be the classic tshirt arm line, the wonderful shoe/boot foot line or, our favourite, the long john chest line, you simply cannot come away from a windsurfing holiday without the tan lines to prove it.
- The Challenge: There is no doubt a full week of windsurfing plays havoc with your body, particularly if you’re not used to windsurfing five hours a day, every day, which let’s face it most of us aren’t! Getting through a holiday, windsurfing until the end, is the ultimate challenge. Blistered hands, aching backs, forearm cramp, battered feet...these may sound horrible to a non windsurfer, but you know you’re a windsurfer when you come through a week jubilant and proud of these!
- Windsurf Friends: A week or two away, surrounded by others that are passionate about the same sport as you means you will definitely make a few new mates. And again this is going to help your progression, windsurfing with those of a similar or higher level is just going to push your level and a bit of friendly banter never hurt either!
- Eye Candy:Who can escape the fact that on a windsurfing holiday, you are surrounded by fit people, in not much clothing? And if you’re really lucky you could get taught by this lively bunch. Men want to be them, women want to be with them, we can see why...