BSA and UKWA Freestyle at Worthing – FULL RESULTS ADDED


Last weekend saw windsurfers swarm to Worthing, for the latest round of the BSA and UKWA freestyle competition.

Light winds did not put off the competitors, although the freestyle competition struggled to get underway a great weekend was had by all and the slalom fleet managed a few rounds of close racing.

Andy ‘Bubble’ Chambers: 

“A few gusts came through which was enough to pump into a few moves but not enough to run a full heat unfortunately.  Great turn out though and lovely weather! Top weekend!”

UKWA Freestyle Worthing

Mike Archer took part in the freestyle event and managed to score some brilliant images before the wind died. Check out Mike’s blog for the full gallery

Gallery Images: Courtesy of Mike Archer and Ant Baker. 

Boards caught up with Ant Baker to find out exactly what happened at the slalom event organised by the K66 team.

We had port tack conditions at Worthing, wind from the east, which is not ideal for building a sea breeze but we were still positive the wind would come through.

Saturday morning we awoke, hoping that some of the wind from the night before would have stuck around. First thing it was relatively calm, but through the morning the wind built to approximately 13-14knots, light but solid slalom racing conditions.

A five buoy downwind course was set, this was a little tricky in the light winds but we all wanted to make the most of the conditions. We made it onto the water at about 12.30pm and started son after.

The start was a little upwind of the beach, some finding it tricky to make it to the start in time in the light winds. But the first pro heat was set to start, before having to momentarily postpone due to unforeseen circumstances, just before the green flag. Some sailors, including Weymouth winner James Dinsmore, did not see that the start had been abandoned and sailed the full race. When the race was then actually started a few minutes later, this meant that James along with some other top names could not make it back upwind in time.

The second round of the pros then took place, with myself taking the win followed closely by Simon Cofield. I was using a 9.4m Warp and 140litre board with 50cm fin, and just about finding the speed he needed to win the first round.

The pros final then took place, with some more confusion and additional riders taking part. At the first gybe mark I was in the lead, but struggled to maintain my speed over the first reach and was overtaken by Simon Cofield. Cofield kept his lead throughout the race, proving he still has the speed in light winds. I finished in second, with Starboard/Tushingham main man Paul Simmons, finishing in third.

The amateurs got through two rounds, plus the losers final, but didn’t make it to the winners final in the light winds.

BSA Worthing

Saturday night saw a great evening for all racers, with a BBQ and movie played. Unfortunately the wind did not transpire on the sunday, it picked up and generated some excitement for 10minutes but unfortunately faded as quickly as it had come in.

The next BSA event is at Aberdovey at the end of June, and the next freestyle event will be held at Herne Bay this coming weekend. Check out the full UKWA calendar

Lea Spencer of Red Surf Bus and Mike George also report from the event on their own blogs.

Red Surf Bus

Mike George



BSA Amateur Results


Pro Results

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.