Calling all kids and teenagers! Do you windsurf? Are you bored of having to explain to non-windsurfing mates what it’s all about? And why windsurfing is so awesome? Or have you never windsurfed before, but want to know more about it?
Well, we’ve put together our top 5 reasons why we love windsurfing for you to share with your friends! Do you agree? Or is there a reason we’ve missed why windsurfing is your favourite sport?
But first up, the question every non-windsurfer asks….what is windsurfing? Basically, it’s a cross between sailing and surfing. You stand on a board like in surfing, but then hold onto a sail like you see on a boat. But you go faster than sailing and don’t need waves like in surfing, win win!
1. It’s fun! Jump on a board, pull the sail up and you go pretty fast straight away!
2. You can do cool tricks. Like skateboarding, snowboarding and other boardsports you can do tricky that really impress your mates!
3. Mates. You will make loads. And have amazing days hanging out at the beach. If you’re under 15 there’s even a group called Team 15 where you can get together to all go windsurfing together, learn new stuff and even compete, if you want to.
4. New places. When you make new windsurfing mates through Team 15, you’re then likely to take part in some fun competitions against other clubs. This means more cool people to hang out with, new places to visit and a whole lot more fun to have.
5. It’s not football. Whilst we love football and think it’s a great sport, we think there’s something a whole lot cooler about doing something a little different. We know at school it’s all about fitting in, but believe us when we say it’s much more interesting to do something a little crazier!
Want to learn to windsurf? Find out more about your local Team 15 club here and get involved!
This whole week with the school holidays just starting we’re going to focus on kids windsurfing right here on Boards, so check back for some interviews with amazing windsurfers, more on windsurfing gear especially for young people and much more coming up this week.