News

BRITS RULE ON DAY TWO OF PALMA OLYMPIC REGATTA

Brits make moves on day two of Palma Olympic Classes Regatta

Unexpected moderate to fresh winds blew across the Bay of Palma today to the liking of most Skandia Team GBR sailors.

A superb day for Nick Dempsey in the new RS:X windsurf class saw him post three straight wins and count all firsts after five races to top the table by nine points. In the women’s RS:X there was a change a the top with a strong day for Skandia Team GBR sailor Lucy Horwood. Her score of 1, 3, 2 puts her at the head of the field with Bryony Shaw still showing well in her less favoured conditions to end the day in third.

Sailors in the new RS:X reached speeds of nearly 30 knots today which made for some spectacular racing and as Nick explains some hairy moments: “Although I had a tough fleet today I was really pleased to see the training paying off and felt I was in control all day – however I nearly blew the final race at the final mark when leading. I saw a water bottle in the water at the last minute but could not avoid it and my fin hit resulting in a massive wipe out.” Fortunately Dempsey quickly recovered to hold the lead despite being thrown from his board.

Sarah Ayton and her team of Sarah Webb and Victoria Rawlinson showed great speed and consistency in the strong breeze to finish in what was the first day’s racing for the Yngling class, with a one point lead over the fleet. The young Development Squad team of Farrell, Larman and Howe also had a solid day to sit in ninth place in the fleet of 26.

In the Laser class Paul Goodison posted three consistent results today, including a second in the final race, to end the day in second overall. Whilst Goodison has consistency on his side after a light day yesterday, Giles Scott was able to half his deficit with a superb day which included two first places to drag himself up to 21st overall behind his Development Squad teammates of Charles Baillie Strong and Stephen Powell.

Skandia Team GBR’s Laura Baldwin leads the British sailors in the Laser Radial fleet after a mixed day which included a fifth and a sixth and a retirement in race two after an infringement. Lizzie Vickers was another sailor to make massive gains on day two to move up to eighth place after a score line of 5, 4, 7. Vickers was very happy with her efforts: “It was a really tricky day with long shifts which were difficult to read so am really pleased with my consistency today.”

No such cheer for leading British Tornado team of Leigh McMillan and Will Howden after a freak incident during an innocuous manoeuvre in the final race of the day. The resultant twisted knee for Howden has ended their regatta. Rob Wilson and Mark Bulkeley will take on the charge after three top tens today see them in 12th place overall.

After no racing yesterday in the men’s 470 fleet four races were scheduled today. This seemed to be to the liking of Nic Asher and Elliot Willis who sit in fourth place just three points from second.

The 470 women had an equally productive day with and have moved from 20th overnight to seventh after today’s racing, while in the Finn class Ed Wright ended the day in third place on equal points with second.

Performance Teams of Draper/Hiscocks and Morrison/Rhodes returned to form in the 49er class, posting similar score lines in their respective fleets to end the day in fifth and seventh respectively.

RYA Olympic Manager, Stephen Park was much happier with today’s showing: “While pleasing to see of our more established sailors returning to form I was particularly happy with some great performances from our young Development Squad sailors, many of whom are at their first major regatta.”

For full results, visit http://www.trofeoprincesasofia.org/dinghy/index.html

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production