News

2011 PWA Surf World Cup – Day 4

Bubble at a windless Podersdorf

Day 4: With the prospect of another windless day in Podersdorf, the PWA took to the event site to ask the riders your questions. Here’s what they had to say…

For: Max Rowe

Max, we hear you drove out to Austria, is that true? How long did it take?

MR: “Yeah, I did drive. The GPS took us on the quickest route, it took us 25 hours from the UK, but we did stop to sleep a bit! It was just me driving as well! After this i’ve got to drive straight back to the UK for an event in Rhosneigr.”

For: Any (We asked Andy Chambers)

Do you think EFPT competition spots are more attractive than those which are held by PWA in Europe?

AC: “I wouldn’t say PWA events are less attractive than those of the EFPT, not at all. Take a look at here for example, this is an amazing event. Then there’s the Canaries, which are always windy and sunny. Sure, both tours have great events around Europe, but the PWA events are always bigger, and have more money behind them.”

For: Any (we thought Anthony Ruenes would be the man to answer this!)

Who’s had the least sleep so far this event?

AR: “I think Julien Mas, he’s been having a good time!”

For: Yegor Popretinskiy

This year more Russian riders are participating in PWA events. What do you think about the perspectives of the development of freestyle in Russia?

YP: “At the moment the Russian tour has just one event which happens each year in Egypt, but sadly that didn’t happen this year due to the political issues going on there. Sometimes there’s also an event in Annaba, but there aren’t so many events for Russian freestylers right now.

But, Russian freestylers are starting to run more events in Dahab, they are sick events, and they get good media coverage. This year they are going to try and run one after Sylt in the autumn, so things are looking good.

We have many good freestylers, but many have to do other jobs to afford to live, so don’t get to train so much. Like Vladimir Yakovlev, he’s sailing really good, he can push full power, for sure. Right now he’s the number 1 in Russia.”

For: Davy Scheffers

You Davy, when are we going to drink beer again in de stump baby?

DS: I’ve stopped drinking! But I still love you man!

For: Kiri Thode

After beating Gollito in Vietnam, do you think this will be your year?

KT: “A lot of people are sailing really good, and it’s not easy to win an event. I will try my best for sure!”

Thanks to the guys for answering that small selection of questions emailed in. Investigative journalism aside, we can finally say with some confidence that there’s a very strong chance of resuming competition tomorrow, as both the forecast and the locals seem to be optimistic for some decent, and prolonged wind. We hope they’re right.

Scope The Action

For information on all the entrants, and to keep up to date with every piece of the action, navigate to www.pwaworldtour.com

Here you can use our:

• Live ticker service for heat-by-heat bulletins

• Check live elimination ladders

• View results

• Read daily news summaries

• Browse awesome action photo galleries

There’s also a dedicated event website which can be found @ www.surfworldcup.at

Or for more information, please contact the PWA office via [email protected]

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production