News

UKWA WAVES – FINAL ROUND, WEST WITTERING – 26-28 OCTOBER

Pic: Simon Crowther

UKWA FINAL ROUND AT WEST WITTERING

WOW! This has to be the closest finish to a UK Wave Championships in a long time. With wind at all events so far this year the UKWA Four Nations Cup has come right down to the wire to decide the overall champions in almost all fleets.

With a promising weekend forecast the atmosphere on the beach is going to be electric. The final event takes place this weekend at the West Wittering Windsurfing Club.As it stands going into the event Andy King is leading the overall Pro rankings by one point, with John Hibbard in second eager to snatch the national wavesailing title back after claiming it in 2005. King has yet to win an overall wave title, which will come as a surprise to many who have seen him sail.

King says of his title quest: “I’m pretty hungry for an overall UK title. I feel that this year could be my year. I’d fancy my chances at the West Wittering event as I have sailed there a lot and feel comfortable in the jumping bias conditions”

Hibbard says of his battle with King: ” Andy is a legend in cross onshore jumping conditions and Witterings delivers just that. Competitions can be tough and often keeping a cool head and sailing a good tactical heat can be a big help and something that I’m well practiced in. If it’s medium winds then Andy is going to be hard to beat as he is the master of the underpowered back loop! I’m ready for the battle so bring it on!”

In the youth fleet Graham Woods leads by a point over Rich Jones. These guys are already knocking on the door waiting to tip the top pro guys from their perch next year. Woods and Jones are very much champions in waiting and it will be very interesting to see their rise to fame over the next few years.

The Junior fleet is being dominated by Aleksy Gayda from Essex who has been sailing really well this year. He is being chased down by Dave Woods though so he will have to hold strong in this final contest to secure his overall title.

The amateur fleet is being dominated by Simon Crowther  but the battle for the latter places is still wide open. The event at Witterings is expected to attract a healthy fleet of amateur competitors. With a special reduced UKWA membership and contest coaching sessions available, this event is a great “first time” event for anybody fancying a go at competition.

The pros start on Friday with all other fleets starting on Saturday. Registration is at the West Wittering Windsurfing Club and starts at 0930 on Friday for the pro fleet and at 0930 on Saturday 27th October for all other fleets..

If you would like a entry form please email us on [email protected] we will send you one. The Event is sponsored by www.2xs.co.uk, Ezzy, RRD, DaKine, Prosport, WWWC and supported by BOARDS, Windsurf and Boardseeker.

Tel 01243 512552 for more info.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production