News

OFFICIAL – KAULI SIGNS WITH NEILPRYDE

KAULI SEADI – NEW SIGNING. NEW SEASON. NEW SAIL.

As we said yesterday after JP jumped the gun with their announcement, it could only be a matter of hours before NeilPryde announced the formal signing of World Wave Champion Kauli Seadi to the NeilPryde Pro-Team, and we received confirmation this morning that  Kauli has signed a three-year deal with both NeilPryde and sister-company JP Australia to cover the complete package of sails, rigs and boards.

In characteristic style, Kauli gives a detailed and considered explanation for his decision to switch equipment brands – “I believe in life there are certain times when you need to take chances and seek-out new opportunities. Up to this point in my career I’ve really been developing my skills as a sailor and I think I’ve proved that I can compete at the highest levels. What excites me about working with NeilPryde is the ability to push my performance even further with the development of my equipment.”

“What NeilPryde offers, through their extensive R&D programme and with talented design guys like Robert [Stroj] and Pieter [Bijl], is really quite unique. I can play a much bigger part in the Design Process, I can work on really specific areas of equipment performance and the Pryde Design Team are able to give me exactly what I’m looking for in terms of handling and feel. It’s just really exciting to think where this could lead us in terms of product development and where it can take me in what I’m able to do out on the water.”

For almost two months ahead of the formal signing, work has been underway at the NeilPryde Design Centre in Maui on the development of a new Signature Wavesail designed specifically around Kauli’s unique sailing style. The new sail, codenamed The Fly, will be launched in Summer 2008, and Kauli will be sailing the latest prototypes of The Fly at the next PWA Event in Cabo Verde in March.

Robert Stroj, Head of Design at the NeilPryde Design Centre, is particularly excited at the prospect of developing products with Kauli – “From the first time we met here on Maui, it was clear that Kauli brings a lot more to the process than just his sailing skills.

“Right from the start he’s been very involved in the design process. He’s sailed every one of our wave and freestyle sails in a variety of conditions and has given us very detailed and specific feedback about his likes and dislikes.”

“With this level of involvement from Kauli, there’s no doubt in my mind that The Fly will be something truly new and unique, a really accurate reflection of Kauli’s specific wants and needs as a sailor.”

“We get to work with some very talented and capable sailors here at the Design Centre, but Kauli brings a fresh perspective and a real intensity to the process.”

“He’s been very open-minded in his approach, he’s obviously got a well-developed feel for what he likes, but at the same time he’s been very willing to explore new aspects of performance and handling. It’s been interesting to see him evaluating the various sail and rig set-ups he’s tried and then commenting on characteristics that have pleasantly surprised him.”

“As designers we’ve already learned a lot from the process and I’m certain that Kauli is going to have quite an impact on, not only The Fly, but other sails we have under development too.”

“I think everyone here in the Design Centre including the Pro Sailors on the Test Team have all picked-up on the raw energy and enthusiasm that Kauli has brought with him. He’s a huge talent and now that I’ve worked closely with him and seen him in-action, I’m just wondering if the windsurfing world is really ready for Kauli Seadi!”

Find out more about Kauli Seadi in his TeamPryde Profile or watch the video on neilpryde.com for an insight into Kauli’s work with the NeilPryde Design Team to develop The Fly.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production