News

Albeau and Cribb Channel Crossing – Update

Albeau and Cribb Channel Crossing – Update

On Monday the 20th October, Guy Cribb, Animal pro rider and 13 X British Windsurfing Champion successfully crossed the English Channel in under 6 hours in stormy seas and raging winds.

Guy Cribb along with French windsurfer Antoine Albeau windsurfed over 70 nautical miles (more than 130 kms) from Cherbourg to Poole, Dorset. The windsurfers tackled 4m waves, giant tankers and narrowly avoided 10 metre planks of wood that were floating in the channel. They sailed up to speeds of 30 knots and fought exhaustion and excruciating cramp to raise money for the Ellen MacArthur Trust and their French counterpart A Chacun Son Cap.

An extremely exhausted Guy said:

“That was the longest blast ever; it was so tough with no land in sight for so long. It was hard to gauge how well we were doing or where we were because the waves were mast high. The sea was incredibly rough, consistently rough throughout the entire journey which meant we couldn’t sail too fast because the conditions were so dangerous. We were on a port tack for the majority of the crossing; I got cramp in places I didn’t even know I could get cramp! The best moment was seeing England about an hour to the end. In seriousness I didn’t think I was going to make it but seeing land gave me a sudden burst of energy.

Doing it for a children’s charity, especially a charity that gives people confidence through sailing kept me going. I’m shattered, my hands and feet are bleeding, but we’ve done it. I’d like everyone who has not donated anything yet to donate some now at justgiving.com/windsurf as we’ve busted ourselves to complete this mission! Thanks!”

The brave duo were cheered by a big crowd on Sandbanks beach as they finished their epic journey on Monday afternoon. So far, Guy and Antoine have already raised a fantastic £7000 for the Ellen MacArthur Trust.

Keep an eye out in BOARDS mag for the full story and pix….

Windsurf Channel Crossing – 20 October 2008

With 30 knots of wind and 3m swell forecast it’s looking set to be a busy day at the office for British Champion windsurfer Guy Cribb and the world’s fastest windsurfer and current World Champion, Antoine Albeau of France – they’re about to attempt to windsurf across the English Channel from Cherbourg to Poole – over 70 nautical miles (more than 130 kms) of rough seas, some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and howling winds to raise money for the Ellen MacArthur Trust and their French counterpart A Chacun Son Cap.

Animal Pro Rider Guy said: “Crossing the Channel from Cherbourg to Poole on a windsurfer is a crazy idea. I’ve ridden giant surf, windsurfed in 70 mph winds and competed and wave sailed all over the world at the highest level, but I have no real preparation as to how tough this trip will be. We have to cross one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and won�t even show up on their radar, we’ll have huge waves and rough currents to negotiate, gusty winds and squalls. Fatigue will set in shortly after we leave France so one of the biggest battles will be to keep on going against the pain, but we have a massive incentive to do so, raising thousands of pounds for the Ellen MacArthur Trust children.”

The Ellen MacArthur Trust aims to support, empower and enliven  children suffering from cancer, leukaemia or other serious illnesses by introducing them to the joys of sailing.

By donating to the Ellen MacArthur Trust through supporting Guy and  Antoine to windsurf where no other windsurfers have tried before, you will give confidence and happiness back to children who’ve been stuck in hospitals for months or years, by enabling them to mix with other children who’ve recovered or are trying to recover from cancer, and feel the camaraderie and bravery of each other whilst sailing or possibly windsurfing.

More on www.guycribb.comfor updates in the next few weeks, and wish them luck by making a financial pledge to the Ellen MacArthur Trust children on behalf of  windsurfing here –
www.justgiving.com/windsurf

HUGE thanks.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production