News

Jägermeister Wave Riderz Rocks Again

Jägermeister Wave Riderz rocks again

After the great event in 2006 Wednesday the 5th of November a big sailing boat again headed to the island of Vlieland.

On board the elite of the Dutch wavesailors preparing for an event that now for the 3rd year marks the end of yet another season. And again there where some nice conditions in the forecast.

As there already was some wind in the forecast for the end of the day the equipment was on board in no time and the skipper started the engines. Wednesday the wind was OK, but not from the right direction to sail in the waves. Some guys went out for a freestyle session before the harbour and others went to the seaside of Vlieland to paddle around on their surfboards. At night dinner was served in a pancake restaurant of local surfer Dirk. The skipper liked the Jägermeister a little bit too much what created some hilarious moments.

After dinner the gang went to the local club De Zeevaert. As there was not too much wind predicted the next day some guys explored their limits. One of them hade a new experience; waking up while walking at 6 in the morning somewhere on the island. The next they started up slowly with some hanging around and a small surfsession in the afternoon. At the end of the day a mail in the snackbar of Gertjan, another local surfer, there was again a party in De Zeevaert that closed at 6.30 in the morning.

Friday there was a little chance on some wind later on the day. On the boat Kevin Mevissen entertained his crowds with a nice play back performance and showed he is a real entertainer. Everybody had a good laugh about that and then it was time to get some fresh air. All the equipment was packed on a trailer and the trip went to the Vliehors.

This is an area next to the military camp on Vlieland where the airforce does shooting exercises. But the wind did not come. While waiting the local police came by on the beach to check if The Meev did not had to much beer that day. Roy van Koolwijk brought his wheels of steel and entertained everybody on the boat with his beats every night.

Roy invested a lot of time in the local bar lady and that paid off. On Friday he was the DJ in De Zeevaert and it rocked again. With maybe a little too much party our skipper fell in the water while trying to get on board. Luckily he did not get injured and his mate Niels could get him on board again.

Saturday there was finally wind. Time to check out the Vliehors and go out. The wind was a little gusty and the waves where not that impressive, but everybody had a good time. Former worldcup windsurfer Ramses Landman also arrived to join the club and also later in the evening Peter Volwater arrived. After the BBQ in the evening the destination was again Zeevaert. But there where some of the riders that did not make it as the previous night had taken too much. And of course there where pretty good conditions coming up for Sunday.

As the skipper wanted to leave at 13.00 it was an early bird session. Roy did not make it on time as his investment in the barlady paid off the evening before. This was also the competition day. PWA judge Thijs van der Meer decided to go for a 20 minute supersession. In the end it was Peter Volwater who won with the most solid overall performance. On second place we found Martin ten Hoeve aka The Lamp. In the first 10 minutes he was leading, so it was a close decision. Dutch wave champ Nikaj Droop ended up on 3rd position. But Martin ten Hoeve did get his moment of fame as he won the Best Trick award with a super tweaked pushloop and Mike Bossaert the rescue award because of his rescue of Kevin Mevissen who lost his equipment and had a hard time to reach the beach.

Overall winner of this year is Martin ten Hoeve. He won the best trick and with not all the partying in his long legs against a fresh arriving Peter Volwater he might have won the supersession also. Pete: “I realize it’s not completely fair to these guys who have been rocking this island for 4 days already. Most of them where still hung over while on the water, but they asked me to compete and it’s a great challenge to measure myself with Holland’s finest like Martin ten Hoeve, Ben van der Steen, Kevin Mevissen (fifth in Sylt), and current Dutch Champion Nikai Droop.” Martin ten Hoeve, aka Lampie, made the best trick. He cleanly landed a super tweaked push loop, where at one point it seemed like his tall body was wrapped around the mast completely. A similar push loop during warm up caused Ramses Landman to say: “You had some nice air there Lampie. I don’t know what it was you did, but you landed it perfectly on that long landing gear of yours.” Lampie: “I am happy with the best trick, but I was aiming for overall impression too. I thought I could take Peter on variety, but I couldn’t keep the pace up in the last half of the heat. Pete kept on going big, he’s a great sailor and he’s really hard to beat in competition” Back on the boat it was time to leave the harbour and go back to Harlingen again. After arriving the whole bunch went to the local Chinese for some food and went home to get some sleep and dream about a nice event again.

Thanks to all the riders, crew, skippers Carool and Niels, people from Vlieland and of course our sponsors Jägermeister Wave Riderz is supported by Jägermeister, Mystic, Surf Magazine, Maui Fin Company, Loft Sails, Quatro, Ezzy, Witchcraft, Zuidwest 6, Surf Vlieland, Riderz.tv, De Zeevaert and Hotel de Bosrand.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production