The annual RYA (Royal Yachting Association) North Zone Team15 youth windsurfing competition began in earnest at Pugneys Country Park, Wakefield on Sunday 19th April.
32 young windsurfers from across Yorkshire and Humberside gathered at Pugneys to compete in this popular, four match windsurfing series which will decide the RYA North Zone Team15 Champion Club for 2009.
Last year’s champions, the North Lincs Invaders, from Barton upon Humber threw down the gauntlet and made a good start, with members of their team winning first place in three out of the four classes (full results below). The three stars in particular were ten year old Harry Davis who was placed 1st or 2nd in all of his six races in the 4.5m class and there were similar scores for twelve year old Lewis May in the 5.5m class and twelve year old Max Bushell in the bigger 6.8m class. Eleven year old Oliver Anderson clawed one result back for the home team of Pugneys Pirates by winning the overall crown in the 3.5m class.
Last year’s competition was a nail biter with the title of North Zone Champion Club being decided at the final event. With the North Lincs Invaders determined to defend their crown, this year’s competition will be equally exciting!
Team15 Round One results (to fourth place)
1. Oliver Anderson (Pugneys Pirates)
2. Jacob Newton (North Lincs Invaders)
3. Helen Anderson (Covenham Cyclones)
4. Ben Calvert (Pugneys Pirates)
1. Harry Davis (North Lincs Invaders)
2. Sarah Labourne (North Lincs Invaders)
3. Jordan Howram (North Lincs Invaders)
4. Jack Lennon (North Lincs Invaders)
1. Lewis May (North Lincs Invaders)
2. Jed Davis (North Lincs Invaders)
3. Nicola Dinsdale (Pugneys Pirates)
4. Robert Griffiths (North Lincs Invaders)
1. Max Bushell (North Lincs Invaders)
2. Emma Labourne (North Lincs Invaders)
3. Luke Raistrick (Pugneys Pirates)
4. Robert York (Covenham Cyclones)
Overall Team winners – Round One – North Lincs Invaders
The North Lincs Invaders will continue the defence of their title on their home waters next month when the second round of the competition takes place at Barton upon Humber on 31st May.
After that, the remaining events are:
Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club 28th June
Covenham Sailing Club 12th July
The Team15 Champions Cup will be held at Rutland on 10th October.