News

Jamie Hancock Interview

BOARDS: How did you prepare for the competition?

Jamie: I didn’t really! After spending a couple of months in Cape Town I came back and tore my medial knee ligaments playing football in my first week back. So before coming to Ireland I had spent almost all my time working on the computer in between moving house. I did come out to Ireland a few days early though to get back into things.

How was the trip to Ireland?

The trip was fine besides our driver going to the wrong ferry port and racing across Wales to make our ferry!

As far as conditions go did Ireland deliver? Which days were the best?

Definitely. I’ve been to Brandon Bay in Ireland a few times over the last few years but this was easily the best conditions i’ve ever had there. Before the event it was pretty good, but the conditions peaked during the event week itself. It worked out perfectly with a joyful first day of competition – cross off, fully windy, with logo high sets all day. For me that was the best day by far.

We heard there was one day in particular, at Stradbally, that was firing. How did you find that?

Yeah, after the 1st day of competition they had run most of the double elimination apart from the final six. So they took us down the coast to Stradbally where it was mast high plus and blowing about 50 knots. It was going off! When you got down to the water it was impossible to see past the white water and the 20 ft spray blowing off the top of the waves.

With these conditions how did your kit hold up? What were you using?

My kit was totally sic. I used the 3.3m Gun Steel with my smallest Quatro twin. The boards still held the tight turns despite the 50 knots which I think was the key to beating Skyeboy in the final.

What were you most pleased with during the event?

It has to be competing against the best sailors in the UK and the fact that it was possibly the best conditions we’ve ever had in a UK competition – and obviously winning!!!

Looking back, is winning this event the highlight of your windsurfing career?

I’m not sure, winning an event is always good. The London indoor boat show was pretty cool when I won the jump event because of the crowds and the fact it was so different. Also winning Tiree was nice because I tend to spend a lot of time up there and it was the first proper wave event I had won. This does come pretty close though.

What’s next? Rhossy? Ambitions? The summer? And from there on?

I’m over in Rhosneigr now waiting for the wind to blow and catching up with everything due to the lack of internet in Brandon Bay. After that I will continue to be working with Umi Pictures and have some UK trips planned for photo features and a possible DVD release!!

Sounds cool. Good luck in Rhosneigr!

Jamie is sponsored by: Gun, Quatro, Big Salty and Umi Pictures.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production