News

Raceboard Clinics Are A Huge Hit

Dave Hackford, who is leading the Raceboard National Series, and  represented the UK in the Olympics 25 years ago in Los Angeles came to  Notts County for a Raceboard Technique evening.

Even the weather behaved itself, with the rain stopping, and a brisk wind earlier, even giving the shortboards some fun, by the time the seminar started it had moderated to a pleasant breeze, and there was even the odd glint of sun.

In spite of the summer  holidays there were 28 listening in to David’s talk on tactics,  technique and equipment. After a short on shore discussion on the new Raceboards and sails, David took to the water to demonstrate tacking and gybing, then it was up to the assembled crowd to show what they could do. The participants included a good number of Notts County sailors of all abilities and ages from 72 to 10 years old along visitors from the West Midlands, and even Hayling Island.

The Raceboard clinics have seen a lot of interest around the country with David and Mark Kay, Robert Kent and Marc Carney leading the sessions, culminating in the final venue in this series taken by David Hackford at Notts County.

On  the water there was a session on tacking practice, followed by three starts (on the line!) and three short races, finishing with a long reaching course.

A great evening, which all enjoyed, David had this to say ” I am  starting to realise what this sport has been missing – or should I say  ‘I have been missing’.  The club scene at Notts County is pretty much  what our sport is all about. It has a social scene that really  encourages every standard of windsurfer and that includes all ages.  The turn out for the racing clinic was marvellous – and I am looking  forward to forming a Devon team to challenge their team.  I forgot to  mention one very important feature about Wednesdays windsurfing nights  – the food served in the clubhouse beats everything”  … and the bar was open.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production