News

Diva Weekend at Stithians Lake 19 & 20 May 2012

Diva 2012 is a motivating and inspirational weekend for women windsurfers, suitable for complete beginners through to advanced, offering women the chance to learn new techniques, share experiences and gain inspiration from female instructors.

Windsurfing tends to be a male dominated sport but more and more women are getting into it, particularly through the Team 15 and junior clubs. Here at Stithians we are really keen to encourage a more even balance of genders out on the water. Here is a chance for women to learn or improve their windsurfing in a less competitive, nurturing environment with three female instructors. Diva 2012 is a motivating and inspirational weekend for women windsurfers, suitable for complete beginners through to advanced, offering women the chance to learn new techniques, share experiences and gain inspiration from female instructors.

The weekend will include two full days of windsurfing tuition, a yoga session, a barbecue on the Saturday night and the option to camp and chill out by the lakeside.

About the instructors

Hannah Mason – Advanced Instructor

I’ve been windsurfing and teaching for the last 6 years both in the UK and overseas. I love it as you get to meet loads of cool people, and you can never get bored as there’s always something new to learn.

At the moment I’m loving going out in the waves and also trying to loop!  I’m really looking forward to the Diva weekend as I’m just as enthusiastic about teaching as I am about going out in my free time. Get involved, come down to Cornwall, you’ll learn loads and it’s going to be lots of fun!

Anna Weld – Intermediate Instructor

I grew up sailing and playing on the beaches of Cornwall. My first go at windsurfing was on my Dad’s old school 7m sail and board. I could not uphaul it, but if I lifted it whilst I stood on the beach and stepped onto the board I could sail across the lake, turn the board around and come back again. All good, so long as I didn’t drop the sail! At 14 I was properly introduced to the sport at Loe Beach and I really enjoyed it, but that was as far as it went until I spent a summer working on a beach in the Med. That first season I worked with some amazing windsurfers who taught me some lightwind tricks, and got me planning in the harness. I was hooked! As with most people I have spent ages learning to waterstart, carve gybe, duck gybe etc. If finding different ways to fall off your windsurf board was an Olympic sport, I would be a contender for a medal! I love learning new skills and that is one of the things I love about windsurfing, there will always be another skill to learn.

I have found that one top tip has generally been the answer and I have suddenly got the new skill. As an instructor I love being able to see what people are doing and give them that top tip. I am an RYA intermediate planing instructor and enjoy helping people progress in their windsurfing.

Clare Stokes – Start Windsurfing Instructor

After returning to the UK in 2008 from New Zealand, I began my watersports studies at Falmouth Marine School. Windsurfing was my favourite discipline out of the three we studied and although I had great fun taking part in dinghy sailing and kayaking, windsurfing was the one that infected me the most.

After leaving the Marine School I have been lucky enough to spend my summers down on the Lizard Peninsula where I volunteer at a Windsurf Centre. The instructors are a wealth of knowledge and I’ve been tapping into them and their resources to gain more knowledge and experience to improve my own sailing ability.  I finally acquired some second hand kit last year and so now if there’s any hint of a breeze, you’ll find me out on the water making the most of this fantastic sport.

To book please contact [email protected] or call 01209 860301

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production