The 5th round of the Irish Speed Sailing Championship was postponed last weekend, but could it be set to go this weekend instead?
The 5th round of the Irish Speed Sailing Championships is due to take place this weekend Nov 24th/25th (Rollover 2). We are monitoring the forecasts and will keep you up to date as the week goes on. The initial forecast is looking changeable, so fingers crossed it will improve closer to the weekend.
This is an early warning and NOT official notice of race, we will continue to monitor the forecast and will send out an official Go/No-Go or call on the rollover by Thursday evening (Nov 22nd).
The event will be run based on GPS times, in order to compete you will need to use a GPS tracker that allows tracks to be downloaded, recommended devices include the Navi GT31 & GT11 as well as the Garmin Foretrex 201’s, other devices may be used if they are included in the recommended list on GPS-Speedsurfing.com and you have the relevant cables to download the data. (http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=item&item=gpsdevice).
If you haven’t got a GPS, don’t worry, we have a limited number of spare one’s that can be shared out so everyone can have a go. However we would recommend that you look to purchase your own. The GPS units are great training aids and are not specifically for windsurfing but also very useful for hikers and cyclists etc. This year as well as using GPS devices for Speed events they will also be used in the Irish Slalom Series to show Race Replay’s and for use in race tactics training sessions.
As in 2011 we will have a split fleet, all will race at the same time, however the results will be split out depending on whether you are using speed/race/slalom or freeride/wave equipment. Further guidelines will be available on our website (www.IrishSpeedSurfing.com)
All competitors must be members of the IWA in order to adhere to the insurance requirements; entry forms will be available at the race site on the morning of the event.
So why not get yourself prepared and try to come down and give it a go.
More info will follow in the next day or two.