News

PWA Cabo Verde 2010 – Philip Koster interview

Going into the final event of the PWA Wave season this weekend in Cape Verde, the top four ranked wavesailors have arrived on the island of Sal early to work on their new project – Second Life, the movie. (Follow them on Facebook for more.) The driving force behind the project, Andre Paskowski has been talking to them all about the forthcoming event – next up, third ranked Philip Köster

Philip Koster at PWA Cold Hawaii, Denmark

If you look at your current World Ranking, could you have imagined you’d be in this position before the year started?

I never expected to be in 3rd place at this time of the year. It was great for me that the Tour started in Pozo where I finished 2nd. Now I’m going for more!

It’s less than a week to go until the event starts. How are you feeling?

I feel still pretty normal and not under too much pressure. I’m training every day and have been spending time with the crew and my dad.

What does the Wave World Title mean to you?

The Wave World Title is the biggest achievement this sport offers. It means everything to me and is the reason why I compete.

Who will be the main contenders in the running?

All the guys here are really strong. There are no easy heats in Cape Verde.

What conditions are you hoping for?

I hope for big waves but also some wind. I would like to use my 4.8 or 5.0.

How did you prepare yourself for this special type of event?

I came to Cape Verde 10 days before the contest to train and film for our new movie ‘Second Life’. Spending time here helps to adjust to these kind of conditions.

How much gear are you packing?

I’ve brought three boards, 10 masts and my most used sail sizes but with two or three spares of each. You can destroy plenty of kit here!

Why is Cape Verde considered such an awesome wavesailing spot?

Cape Verde has the dream conditions for all of us. Big, clean waves and side-offshore winds. It doesn’t get better than that!

What’s the first thing you’d do if won the title?

I don’t know – I would be sooo happy!

It’s kind of special to have the top four ranked wavesailors in the world working together on the same project. How do you all get on?

On the water we fight for the title but on land we’re a cool group together. I think it’s great that even sailors who are fighting for a world title can work on projects like ‘Second Life’ together.

Philip Koster

Source: second life, the movie

Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Second-Life-the-movie/160875703937903?ref=ts