News

PWA Cabo Verde 2010 – Ricardo Campello interview

Going into the final event of the PWA Wave season this weekend in Cape Verde, the top four ranked wavesailors have arrived on the island of Sal early to work on their new project – Second Life, the movie.(Follow them on Facebook for more.) The driving force behind the project, Andre Paskowski has been talking to them all about the forthcoming event – next up, second ranked Ricardo Campello

Ricardo at PWA Cold Hawaii, Denmark

If you look at your current World Ranking, could you have imagined you’d be in this position before the year started?

Well, my goal this year was to be in the top 3 in the wave ranking and I knew it was going to be super-hard. So far though I’ve been consistent and managed to get in the top 2. We’re all now close and fighting for the title. I think we’ll all do our best to get it!

It’s less than a week to go until the event starts. How are you feeling?

Well I just came back from Maui where I have been training and getting some new boards made. I want to be super prepared this year and actually I’m doing ok so far. Some times though the nerves get to you when you are at the event.

What does the Wave World Title mean to you?

It’s always been my dream to be Wave World Champion. I’ve won three Freestyle World Titles but the discipline that I always wanted to do well in is the waves – so it’s a dream and I hope I can make it come true, but it will be tough.

Who will be the main contenders in the running?

Everyone will be my contender because to advance through the heats to get a good result will be hard. The level is super-high now and everyone is super-motivated but for sure Victor, Kauli and Brawnzinho will be hard to beat over there!

What conditions are you hoping for?

Big waves and some wind. I would like to use my 5.0.

How did you prepare yourself for this special type of event?

I’ve just spent three weeks in Maui sailing pretty much every day and testing some boards so I could get used to mine, which are working pretty nicely. I just tried to sail as much as I could and now in two days I’m going to Cape Verde to train and film for ‘Second Life’, our new movie.

How much gear are you packing?

Six waveboards – ha-ha, that’s my record on waveboards! I ordered four new boards that I didn’t have time to test because they weren’t ready in time for me to try in Maui. In Cape Verde we end up on the rocks a lot, and the boards usually get trashed pretty easily so you’d better be ready!

Why is Cape Verde considered such an awesome wavesailing spot?

The sheer perfection of the waves is amazing!

What’s the first thing you’d do if won the title?

Celebrate a lot, ha-ha!

It’s kind of special to have the top four ranked wavesailors in the world working together on the same project. How do you all get on?

Well, it’s always good, we don’t have any rivalry, we’re all super-good friends and it’s great to be involved in the same project – we’ll spend a lot of time together!

Ricardo Campello

Source: second life, the movie

Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Second-Life-the-movie/160875703937903?ref=ts