News

PWA Cabo Verde 2010 – Victor Fernandez interview

Going into the final event of the PWA Wave season this weekend in Cape Verde (aka: Cabo Verde), the top four ranked wavesailors have arrived on the island early to work on their new project – Second Life, the movie. (Follow them on Facebook for more.) The driving force behind the project, Andre Paskowski has been talking to them all about the forthcoming event – finally, first ranked Victor Fernandez

Victor Fernandez at PWA Cold Hawaii, Denmark

If you look at your current World Ranking, could you have imagined you’d be in this position before the year started?

I’ve always wanted to be in the position I’m in right now. I’ve never been leading the Tour and now I have a great opportunity in the last contest to win my first title, and this is the best I could do so I’m very motivated for Cape Verde.

It’s less than a week to go until the event starts. How are you feeling?

I feel good. I think it was a good decision to come to Cape Verde early and be one of the first guys to adapt myself to the conditions, climate and test the equipment I’m going to use in the contest. These things all together make me feel more confident.

What does the Wave World Title mean to you?

Winning a Wave World Title has always been a dream for me, it means a lot of work for many years, training, travelling and experience in windsurfing.

Who will be the main contenders in the running?

Each of the 32 riders here are very good sailors and all of them are contenders. For me every heat has the same value and they’re all important to get to the finals.

What conditions are you hoping for?

I hope for Punta Preta or little Hookipa, light side to side-offshore winds and small to big waves.

How did you prepare yourself for this special type of event?

I prepared myself physically with the help of two friends in Almería for the whole of last year. They’ve coached me in the gym, pool, cycling and running. Apart from that I trained a lot at waveriding during the last two years travelling to Maui, Chile and Cape Verde. Also with Fanatic we have improved our boards a lot for down-the-line conditions.

How much gear are you packing?

Three boards, 9 sails, 15 masts, 4 booms and 7 extensions…

Why is Cape Verde considered such an awesome wavesailing spot?

The quality of waves is incredible, perfect wind direction, warm weather and not crowded.

What’s the first thing you’d do if won the title?

If I won the title I would celebrate it with all my friends in Cape Verde, and then back home with my family and friends.

It’s kind of special to have the top four ranked wavesailors in the world working together on the same project. How do you all get on?

My relationship with all the riders is very good. On the water we push each other a lot as in any other sport. Off the water we are friends, we’ve travelled together for many years and that’s why we are a big group of friends making a nice living.

Victor Fernandez

Source: second life, the movie

Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Second-Life-the-movie/160875703937903?ref=ts