News

Team OTC do Defi Wind 2010 – day 2

Daniel Macaulay reports from day 2 of the Defi Wind…

Windy? Looks it...

Holy mother of overpowered windsurfing, it was windy here at the Defi Wind today!!

Everything felt a lot more exotic this morning as we awoke to wall to wall sunshine in our little apartment. So long as the wind is coming from the North West, the sunshine helps the local thermal effect which powers the infamous Tramontana trade-wind. By the time we got to the beach at 9am, it was absolutely blowing its tits off!!

The race crew decided to run two figure of eight races of 40km each…. 80km of totally stacked racing hurts!!

Team OTC

Getting ready for the first race of the day, Roger realised he had left his race vest back at the apartment, so had to make a dash back in Tris’s van, but made it back with 10 minutes to spare.

Unfortunately, the wind decided to drop for the start (possible due to the 1000 sails on the start line) so many struggled to even waterstart, but once clear of the line it powered up big time – Roger was on a 5.8m and his 60cm wide JP Slalom, I was on 6.4 KA Koncept and a 86ltr Starboard iSonics and Tris on a 101ltr iSonic and a 6.4 KA Koncept.

The trick with Defi is to point up to the beach as soon as you can after the first mark, so that you can sail in the flatter water.

Roger Clark Quote: “Once I got up into the flat water, I was absolutely smokin!!”

Tris Best Quote: “I think Defi lives up to everything people say about it. It is such a spectacle … but even more insane to be part of it. My results are getting a little better each time, but the start is just a mission – trying to find some semblance of a gap AND a bit of wind to get through it before someone slams it shut is like finding a golden ticket to Willy Wonka’s factory. Tomorrow is forcecast to be even windier … holy moly!”

Race 3 the wind had filled in, but for the race we all on the same gear as the morning – coming back up from the first mark was a nightmare, as the wind has shifted to almost beat.

80kms of racing in 30 knots of wind…..awesome….. we’re all completely knackered; another early night for Team OTC. www.otc-windsurf.com

Rigging

+++ AND HERE’S THE OFFICIAL DAY 2 PRESS RELEASE +++

Défi Wind : Intense rythm for the second day for the 1 000 participants

The second day of the Défi Wind has left some traces on the participants… With nearly 80 kilometers ran, under a North wind flow blowing over 30 knots on the second round, the 1000 competitors who are actually engaged on this incredible ride do not demerit. Pierre Mortefon has confirmed his lead by winning yesterday’s first round just ahead Anders Bringdal, who has won the following one. Small recap of yesterday’s events:

Two winners on a day !

The departure of round No. 2 was given at 11:03 am in a strong Tramontane. Pierre Mortefon, the first round’s winner, has confirmed his first place by winning the morning’s leg ahead Anders Bringdal and Julien Quentel. The latter confided on arrival:“It was a great fight. The three of us have sailed together the whole way and the finish was really tricky. Pierre has benefited from a burst just before the line and has overtaken Anders and myself! ” On the afternoon leg, the departure was given at 3:40pm, and challengers had to deal with a 30 knots wind. Anders, who has reached 60 km / h aboard, has crossed the finish line with a comfortable 20 seconds lead ahead Pascal Toselli and Pierre Mortefon. “Young people are not as nasty when the wind is stronger” confided Anders laughing at the finish. “For sure I am heavier and thus faster when the wind rises up.

A woman challenge :

In total, there are 48 women on the Défi Wind 2010. From professional ones as Valerie Ghibaudo (first woman on the three consecutive rounds) to young ones as Lucile Lefevre (14 years old and French snowboard champion), diversity does exist on the water. It is a real challenge for them, as Valerie mentioned upon arrival on the beach: “It is a tough race. The wind refuses continuously and it is not easy to tune. From chop to the variation of wind and the incredible amount of riders, you have to be really careful.”Lise Vidal defines the race as “a true endurance one. The hardest thing for me is that after a 10 km straight line, the jibe is quite complex as we are completely static on board. It is very difficult for the muscles but I am very happy to be here and hope to finish just behind Valerie!

The movie challenge :

One of the great features of the Défi Wind is the opportunity for amateur filmmakers to present their movies on Friday night. The competitors have the difficult task of choosing the best of them. Following the projections, Four Dimensions has been released for the first time in France. This film shows the talents and prowess of four riders, with Victor Fernandez among them: “Four Dimensions presents the latest wave and freestyle moves on world spots” explains Victor. “We benefit from an event as the Défi Wind to project it in France to more than 1000 spectators.” The show carries on and allows competitors to relax before the following day, which is once again meant to be rich of wind, and thus of emotions!

Second leg’s podium :
1° Pierre Mortefon
2° Anders Bringdal
3° Julien Quentel

1st woman : Valérie Ghibaudo

Third leg’s podium :

1° Anders Bringdal
2° Pascal Toselli
3° Pierre Mortefon

1st woman : Valérie Ghibaudo

www.defiwind.com

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production