Earlier in the week we caught up with young windsurfing star Maxime van Gent, for her advice on getting into windsurfing and more, now it’s the turn fellow Bonairian Amado Vrieswijk, also 19, to share his advice.
WHEN DID YOU LEARN TO WINDSURF?
I learnt to windsurf when I was 6 years old here on Sorobon. I saw the pros on the water during the PWA King of the Caribbean event; I got very interested and wanted to try it myself. Since that weekend I’ve been addicted to windsurfing!
Why I Windsurf
1. Windsurfing is a challenge! Whether it’s trying to get a new move right or going faster in slalom, there is always something to improve.
2. Windsurfing is enjoying the sea and the sun.
3. Windsurfing gives me positive vibes, adrenaline and a feeling of freedom.
4. Windsurfing gives me the opportunity to travel a lot and discover new places around the world.
5. You meet people from all around the world, enjoy friendships and share the same interest for the sport!
The hardest things about windsurfing and how to overcome them:
For me, the hardest thing was when it was time to go home at the end of the afternoon!!! I solved it by surfing far way from the beach where my Mom was waving at me to return to the beach, haha!