People

Champions of 2012: Ant Baker

This year the BSA slalom circuit hosted seven successful events with a range of conditions, some of the usual names at the top as well as some old faces returning to the scene. 

BSA Slalom pro fleet results 2012

The top level slalom fleet in the UK is full of some very impressive names; James Dinsmore, Si Cofield, Kev Greeneslade, and the young Sam Latham all proved themselves as incredible racers again this year, but it Ant Baker was that took the British title in the Pro fleet, counting only first and second places he proved that consistency is key. Boards catches up with Ant to find out more about his successful year:

Ant Baker

Name: Ant Baker

DOB:  09/11/75

Sail number: K77

Years competing: 27

Best previous results:

Top 10 in the world for freestyle, slalom, waves and course racing; British champ lots of times too 🙂

Title you have won this year:

British Slalom Association Champion, British Speed Champion.

Why and when did you first start competing?

I was nice when I first competed in the Bic worlds and came second, as my parents owned a windsurfing shop it was pretty easy to think I would make the world tour!

What equipment have you used on the UK tour this year?

Fanatic Falcon Slalom and speed boards with C3 fins powered by North Warp 2012.

Why do you use this equipment? 

Simple, it’s the best!

Ant Baker. Image credit Dave White.

What is it about your set up in particular that you like?

As we have the best control from our kit it makes it easy for me when the conditions change, also I received my 2013 boards before round five, which made a huge difference!

Who else would you recommend a set up like this? 

Our 2103 Falcons are the easiest boards to go fast on, and if you’re not first… your last!

How and where have you trained for the series this year?

Well I don’t get too much time for training as my coaching business, Baker Academy takes most of my time. I teach windsurfing, kitesurfing and paddleboarding, and have now opened a gym called Fitlab, so I will do a lot of my training there 🙂

Ant Baker

Have you just trained on the water, or what do you do off the water too?

I only use my race kit at the race events, I didn’t do too much training, but as my kit is so fast and easy to use it all went well!!

What are your plans for winter? Sailing here in the UK? Or heading abroad anywhere?

As I just opened Fitlab I will be taking martial arts and fitness classes most of the winter 🙂

What are you aims for competitions in 2013? UK and international events?

I plan on competing for the UK slalom and speed titles again and would love to get back out on the PWA tour again soon. Last year the PWA wouldn’t give me any entries, which seems silly as I was british champ last year also!!

Follow more on the UK slalom and  speed right here on Boards, and for more news and features on Ant Baker click right here!

Check out the other Champions of 2012 features:

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production