People

Champions of 2012: Kieren Roan

In 2012 the amateur freestyle tour saw some tough competition, with the title being taken by thirty three year old Kieren Roan, proving freestyle’s not just for kids!

Kieren Ronan

Name: Kieren Roan

DOB: 17/08/1979

Years competing: Two

Best previous results: None

Title you have won this year: UKWA 1st Amateur Freestyle

Why and when did you first start competing? How did you get involved in competition?

I started competing in 2010 at a UKWA freestyle event held at my home spot of Hunstanton, on the Norfolk coast. As it was on my doorstep I thought I had to give it a try! I was pleased to see events held on the east coast and hope to see more come to Norfolk in the future.

As a kid did you dream of becoming a champion?

Of course. Everyone dreams of that don’t they?

Did you love competition straight away? What has helped you progress from learning how to compete to winning a title?

I enjoyed it and felt it would help me to improve my level so I’ve carried on. What’s helped me progress is understanding that the best way to get through heats is to land a variety of moves. I’ve tried to work on my consistency and I practice in a variety of sea states.

Kieren at the UKWA Freestyle in Wittering

What equipment have you used on the tour this year?

Hot Sails Maui Bolts from 3.7 to 5.6 and a Tabou Freestyle 90

Why do you use this equipment?

I’ve used Hot Sails for a number of years and have always been impressed by their build quality and performance. I’m just about to get the Hot Sails Freestyle Pro’s, which look awesome and will hopefully help me to do well in 2013. I’ve had the board for three years now so I know exactly how it behaves in all conditions which helped for the events.

Kieren Ronan

How and where did you train for the series last year?

I had a sneaky year and managed to fit in Fuerteventura and Vass on Bubble’s clinic, but mainly train at my perfect home spot of Hunstanton and all along the Norfolk coast up to East Runton.

Have you just trained on the water or what do you do off the water too?

My training is purely on the water. I work full-time shifts as an engineer and have an 18 month old little boy (my bit for the future of windsurfing) so I don’t get much spare time!

What are your plans for the winter? Sailing here in the UK? Or heading abroad anywhere?

I’ll be sailing as much as possible at home and hoping it’s not too cold.

What are you aims for competition in 2013? UK and International events?

I’ll be doing the freestyle events again this year. My aim is to sail well and keep pushing my level forward. I hope the freestyle tour continues to grow as it’s a great way to improve and also a good excuse to go away windsurfing for the weekend. For those of you thinking freestyle is just for kids, take a look at my DOB!

I feel I’ve improved more in my thirties than I did all through my twenties through competition and focusing on my sailing.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production