News

IFCA EUROPEAN SLALOM CHAMPIONSHIPS, DAY 1

IFCA European Slalom Championships 2005

Alaçatý, June 23rd 2005. The IFCA European Slalom Championships 2005 had a perfect kick off in Alaçatý, Çeþme (Turkey). With perfect sideshore wind ranging from 15 to over 20 knots the race committee was able to run two full eliminations for the men’s fleet and even three eliminations for the master and women’s fleet. Finian Maynard (KV-11, F2, Nais Sails) from the British Virgin Islands is leading the men’s fleet. Allison Shreeve (AUS-911, F2, Neil Pryde) was dominating the women fleet as well as the Formula Windsurfing European Master Champion Marco Begalli (ITA-415, Fanatic, Neil Pryde) was dominating the masters.

In the first elimination Finian Maynard presented his brilliant speed potential and won the final. The current Speed World record holder was the fastest rider in front of Dan Ellis (GBR-52, Fanatic, Naish Sails) from Great Britain and Sam Ireland (CAN-1, Starboard, Neil Pryde) from Canada. Arnon Dagan (ISR-1, Fanatic, Neil Pryde) defended the fourth position against Marco Begalli. In the second elimination Arnon Dagan celebrated a great comeback to the competitions with a straight bullet. The Israel hotshot was forced to do a knee operation after an accident and had a break for some weeks. He has obviously returned to his famous speed now. Finian Maynard scored a second place after a head to head fight with Sam Ireland. Dan Ellis scored a fourth position in front of Ben van der Steen (NED-57, Exocet, Neil Pryde).

In the women’s fleet Allison Shreeve was able to win all three eliminations and is now leading with the optimum of 2,1 points in front of the Turkish Champion Cagla Kubat (TUR-75, Fanatic, Gaastra) with 6,0 points. Scadi Pekdag (TUR-626, F2, Gaastra) is third in front of Deniz Sekercioglu (TUR-204, Ricci, Gaastra) and Iclal Banu Cagdas (TUR-151, Starboard, Gaastra).

In the Masters fleet Marco Begalli has a clear lead with perfect 2,1 points. On the second position follows Leonid Judin (SAM-1, Starboard, Severne) with 6,0 point in front of Aydin Gözen (TUR-53, F2, North Sails) with 9,0 points.

After the first day Finian Maynard is leading the IFCA European Slalom Championships with one victory and a second place and a total of 2,7 points. On the second place follows Arnon Dagan with a victory and a fourth and 4,7 points. There is a tough head to head fight for position three between to Sam Ireland who presented a consistent performance with two third places giving him 6,0 points and Dan Ellis who scored a second and a fourth also summing up to 6,0 points. In the tie Dan manages to sneak ahead in the third place. Marco Begalli defends the fourth place with 12 points against Ben van der Steen and Turkish hotshot Hüseyin Sert (TUR-10) both with 13 points.

But nothing is decided yet. We have already seen some of the favourites stumble and in slalom almost everything can happen. So everybody is looking forward to some exciting competition days here in Alacati. Tomorrow the Skippers Meeting is set for 11:00 with the first possible start at 12:00. The IFCA European Slalom Championships 2005 will last until Sunday, June 26th. The closing ceremony with prize giving will take place on Sunday evening.

The official website of the event with more information is
www.surfnsound.org. The IFCA European Slalom Championships 2005 are covered on www.euro-cup.org, and www.internationalwindsurfing.com. Besides the reports and the results you will also find a live ticker on www.euro-cup.org. So check out the internet!

——————————————————————

Sponsors and Supporters:

Hosted by: Governer of Çeşme, Alaçatı Beach Club,Municipality of Alacati Municipality of Çeşme
Organized by: Sportworks Group,Turkish Sailing Federation
Main Sponsor: JIM BEAM
Sponsors:  POWER FM, NTV, QUIKSILVER, OAKLEY, PEPSİ, ARÇELİK, ALTINYUNUS HOTEL
Supporters: Alaçatı Beach Club,Sole Mare

——————————————————————

Comments:

Finian Maynard (KV-11, F2, Naish Sails): “Whow! I haven’t done slalom for five years! But it is really great. In the first race I had a great start and no problems. In the second one Arnon and Sam had a better start and excellent speed. I only managed to sneak past Sam at a mark.”

Arnon Dagan (ISR-1, Fanatic, Neil Pryde): “Everybody is still a little bit rusty after such a long time without slalom. But I had a perfect day with a bullet and a fourth. My equipment was perfect and the conditions are really nice. Slalom is definitely back!”

Sam Ireland (CAN-1, Starboard, Neil Pryde): “I have two thirds. In the second final I let Finian pass me. But it is only my second regatta since eight months. So I hope to improve in the next days!”

Marco Begalli (ITA-415, Fanatic, Neil Pryde): “I am feeling a little bit like home in Sardinia – The same great conditions. I competing in two fleets, men and masters and doing well!”

Allison Shreeve (AUS-911, F2, Neil Pryde): “It is great to be here. The conditions are great. It is no problem to control the other girls but I am also racing additionally in the men’s fleet. So I am doing twice the races as everybody else! I am looking forward to the next days.”

Cagla Kubat (TUR-75, Fanatic, Gaastra): “It is my first time to compete in an international competition. It is great to watch the stars racing. Allison is extremely fast. It is more as if I am watching her and not competing.”

——————————————————————

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production