News

XAVIER FERLET WINS UK SLALOM CHAMPIONSHIP

Starboard and Neil Pryde sailor Xavier Ferlet wins 2006 UK Slalom Championship

Dan dominated early rounds

The season started with Dan Ellis (Fanatic-Naish) dominating the Marazion and Hove event with only one dent (caused by myself!!!) in a perfect score card of firsts.  Unfortunately, Dan missed the Tenby event as he was at Sylt.  The perfect conditions atTenby allowed 17 rounds (!!!) to be run.  I took advantage of the varied conditions from light to howling winds to take the lead with 10 wins to 6 for Alan ‘All Action’ Jackson (Maui Sails). 

Winning with a small quiver

Slalom 42 made for some very exciting racing.  Alan and myself only used 2 boards all season (who said you need loads of kit to win???) Alan was on an F2 105 and a Fanatic 90 and I was on Isonics 125 and 105.  In the sail department, the range was just as limited as we only used 3 sails each (7.6, 6.3 & 5.9 for Alan and RS6 9.0, 7.2 & 5.9 for me). 

All down to the last round

Although I had a good lead going into the last event, Alan was on fire and won the first 4 rounds at White Air.  Dan wasn’t in his usual form and didn’t perform as expected.  In the end, it came down to the last round where I just managed to beat Alan by one place and win the championship in the process.

Off to Japan

I’m off to Japan next year working for Honda Formula 1 (Jenson Button is one of the drivers) so my UK rankings will probably be severely disrupted.  There is plenty of young talent like Dan Simpson (Tiga-Neil Pryde & 3rd overall in 2006!) to take on the fight so roll on 2007!

Full results are on http://ukwindsurfing.com/results/2006/rankings_sl#top_flight

Xav is sponsored by Starboard, Neil Pryde, Sola & Boardwise

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production