News

BRITISH FORMULA OPEN WIN FOR KEITH ATKINSON

Keith Atkinson Wins 2007 British Formula Open Championship

This year it was the turn of Bridlington to host the most important windsurfing event in the UKWA calendar, the 2007 British Open Championship, Keith Atkinson fresh from his Rutland Marathon success was once again on top form. The three-day UKWA event produced six races.

Day one, as forecast, was a day of light winds and too little for Formula racing. However day two saw the wind increase to over 20 knots in very cold and somewhat unpleasant conditions. Five races were held and Keith Atkinson produced four first places and a second. Day three dawned and the wind hand increased a great deal overnight producing rougher sea conditions and even colder temperatures. The race officer, Jay Williamson, decided therefore to hold only two further Formula races. A very diminished fleet headed out for the start through quite a heavy shore break. Keith Atkinson had an equipment failure so returned to the beach but was then unable to remake the start. Whilst waiting for this race to finish it was announced from the race officer that racing was to be curtailed due to the adverse conditions.

Keith, who is the reigning 2006 British Formula Champion, Inland Champion and British Open Champion, was able to hold on to his title with a comfortable lead.

He commented after the prize giving ceremony ‘I am very pleased to have retained the title of ‘British Open Champion’ and with four first places in some testing conditions. We are now half way through the 2007 UKWA National Championship series and whilst I have a comfortable Championship title lead I will not be relaxing until the final event is over at Clacton in September. I have recently relocated to Felixstowe just two minutes from the beach so I will be able to get much more on water training than in the past.  I would like to thank all my sponsors including POINT-7, Dakine, Eurovans and Starboard whose 161 board is just phenomenal. I’m looking forward to the next UKWA Inland series event at Farmoor on the 9th-10th June’.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production