News

COSTA TEGUISE PWA GRAND SLAM – DAY 4

The 2007 Costa Teguise Grand Slam – Day 4

Bjorn Dunkerbeck (T1 / North) shows he’s the boss taking 2 out of 3 wins to consolidate his event lead. Antoine Albeau (Starboard /NeilPryde) and Peter Volwater (F2 / North) are left behind in his wake. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde) celebrates her sweet-16 by pulling level with Daida Moreno in the women’s event after a second double elimination final. Jose Estredo (Fanatic / North) teaches Kiri Thode (Starboard /Gaastra) a lesson in power-moves in the men’s Freestyle fleet.

Sweet 16
for Sarah-Quita

Gollito’s one-handed burner

Maynard steps on the gas

Bjorn, one of 4 world champions attacks
the mark

Freestyle Double Elimination 2

Strong wind this morning which was forecast to drop meant the call was to complete the 2nd Double Elimination.

Men’s Double

1. Jose Estredo (Fanatic / North)
2. Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra)
3. Ricardo Campello

Campello tried hard to work his way back up the ladder but blew-out against Kiri Thode – his 6th heat of the day. ‘That was the worse heat of entire career’ lamented Campello ‘I only really made one trick – it was a pretty good one though – a one-handed Shaka that was pretty high. Apart from that I was swimming and Kiri was all over me’

Estredo, sailing with an injured foot came out with all guns blazing ‘I think I beat Kiri with my new tricks which are power-moves that no-one else is really trying; like the Burner, which I also pulled-off  pretty well with one hand. It just feels great to build on my lead’

Women’s Double

1. Sarah-Quita Offringa
2. Daida Moreno
3. Laure Treboux (Naish / Naish)

It’s 1-1 between Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde) and Daida Moreno (North). There are potentially 2 more double eliminations possible this event to help them break the tie. What a way to celebrate her birthday. Congratulations Sarah-Quita!

Here the girls give you a picture of what the final stages were like for them.

Laure: ‘At this level I would’ve settled for podium beforehand anyway, but I’m always pleased to be there. I’m a bit disappointed that I couldn’t make any of my tricks I’ve learnt prior to the comp, but in these heats it’s been gusty and hard work’

Daida: ‘It’s all or nothing against Sarah-Quita. Either you sail well and you can win convincingly, or else she really smashes you. I sailed better in the final than I did in my semi, and I was way more comfortable. Still, it was super-gusty and there are loads of holes in the wind. I completed some good tricks; A one-footed forward, and a clew-first spock, but I fell on my flaka. That’s the way it is sometimes!’

Sarah-Quita: ‘Before my heats I really practised and all I was focusing on was not to fall and ruin my momentum when the pressure was on. I saw Daida land some cool stuff, like her one-footed forward which was pretty high and radical, and that pushed me to try a Goyta, but I crashed. But I made loads of other stuff on both tacks, like Puneta’s, Grubbies, and all I could think was that I wanted to avoid a re-sail with her as that’s a major risk to take. It’s one apiece now so let’s pray for wind and see what happens!’

Slalom

After lunch the call was for Slalom Racing. A near-long-distance style course was set with a start out to sea snaking back to the beach past the event site on Las Cucharas point and into the bay – finishing alongside a rocky breakwater.

The intention was to cram in as much racing as possible to reach the 7th race discard, to really iron the results out.

Race 5

1. Bjorn Dunkerbeck
2. Antoine Albeau
3. Cyril Moussilmani

Bjorn Dunkerbeck (T1 / North) went confidently into this encounter as the event leader by a narrow margin.

Of the front-runners only Kevin Pritchard (Starboard / MauiSails) blundered and failed to make the final. Form players Cyril Moussilmani (Fanatic / North), Antoine Albeau (Starboard /NeilPryde) and Peter Volwater (F2 / North) kept consistent at the top.

Dunkerbeck looked pleased with his start to the day, and was obviously liking the windy conditions. ‘Well I’ve raced on a 6.7 and the T1 69 in every race so far this event and no-one can deny the speed I’ve got. I spent 45 minutes or so tuning-up and getting into a groove before we kicked-off so and felt really positive. I’ve had to hustle a little at the starts and mix it up to gain advantage. The Race 5 final was fun and I had some really good moments of racing there in and around the swells and just slotted it home really’

Race 6

1. Finian Maynard
2. Antoine Albeau
3. Pieter Bijl (Fanatic / NeilPryde)

Missing the cut…

Kevin Pritchard and Bjorn Dunkerbeck both got caught in traffic in the semi’s…

As the wind got up a little the big guys started going seriously fast.

Maynard talks us through the final: ‘I started about ¾ of the way down the line and got away clean. A lot of the guys are fast out there so I was happy to put one good heat together and get the bullet as the level is higher this year than eve before – any mistakes mean you’re history. I took a low line to the first mark and put 4 good gybes together, which is great as going out on port tack has been quite hard in that swell. I had one good race and two shockers so win made it better. The no-rules thing is kind of hardcore. I’ve been the victim twice in two semi finals where I’ve been in front and qualifying guys have knocked me off, but there you go, that’s racing’

Race 7

1. Bjorn Dunkerbeck
2. Antoine Albeau
3. Kevin Pritchard

Bjorn was pretty stoked with his straightforward run home. In wind of around 18-25 knots, Albeau was steaming up behind him but was obviously overpowered and near his limit.

Bjorn, ever confident in himself and his gear was in no doubt of his strengths, and really showing signs of the Dunky of old.  ‘Now everyone can see for themselves that I’ve got  this sort of speed I’m not about to let anyone take it away from me when I’m out in front. I could’ve gone for a smaller sail, maybe a 6.3 would’ve been nice, but the 6.7 was the smallest I registered and I still felt pretty comfortable. I feel this confident about all my gear really, and that I can stay as fast. If the wind gets lighter I’ll still have speed – it’s just the 9.0 or larger conditions I don’t favour’

Albeau has shown impressive ability this event to stay consistent, not take risks on the water and to hold down a 7.8 – the smallest sail he’s registered and the only risk he’s taken all week. ‘Yeah it’s hard work’ he laughed. ‘Sure I’m regretting my choice a little now we’ve had stronger wind than expected, but I’m banking on the original forecasts that say it’s going to get lighter. I’m glad we’re starting coming in towards the shore as we can go with the swell. When the wind’s been softer in some sections of the course I’m glad I’ve got a bigger sail, but on the way out through the wave, especially as you go over the top of them it gets a bit hectic and hard to control!’

Forecasts for tomorrow are for slightly lighter winds but are still positive for competition. Skipper’s meeting is at 10.00. from when you can use our:

• Live ticker service for heat by heat bulletins
• Check the elimination ladders
• View results
• Read daily news summaries
• Browse awesome action photo galleries

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production