News

FUERTEVENTURA PWA GRAND SLAM – FINAL DAY

Daida and Brawzinho are interviewed
after competition is cancelled

The 2007 Fuerteventura PWA Grand Slam – Final Day
30.07.07 By: Brian McDowell

Marcilio Browne enjoys his first taste of victory as champagne corks pop for the Sotavento Freestyle winners. Kiri Thode of Bonaire secures second overall as light wind prevents a second double elimination and Thomas Traversa bags third. Daida Moreno wins the Women’s event to seal the 2007 title- her fifth world freestyle crown. Sarah-Quita Offringa settles for second overall and Laure Treboux keeps third.

A final day heatwave denied any further competition to allow 18-yr old ‘Brawzinho’ Browne (Mistral / Gaastra) a famous first-ever event win.

After three agonisingly windless days in raging heat, Daida Moreno (North) and Marcilio Browne’s wait was over and the titles finally became theirs.

Earlier in the competition Browne defeated Bonaire youngster Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra) in an insiring double elimination re-sail.

17-yr old Thode’s second place means he becomes the 2006 tour leader with one event to go. ‘I’m happy to lead the tour’ said the former youth world champion. ‘I really had fun here although I sailed really badly in the single elimination. In the double though I beat some talented riders like Ricardo Campello (JP / NeilPryde), the current world champion Gollito Estredo (Fanatic / North), and Brawzinho of course. I was pretty nervous through the event as I did well in Lanzarote and I didn’t want to do any worse to waste my second place there, and needed to come and build on that good result here. I’ll go back to Bonaire now to train for Sylt and just see how it goes’

Frenchman Thomas Traversa (Tabou / Gaastra) earned his third place finish after beating Tonky Frans (F2 / Gaastra) in the loser’s final.

Browne was visibly relieved that the day was over and the trophy his. With a hoarse voice he explained what it meant to him to win. ‘I’m so happy. Today was a long day and I was so nervous as we waited for wind, plus I was a little sick which wouldn’t have helped me if we’d competed today. I’m glad it’s over as the level here is so close – anyone from 25th upwards in the rankings is capable of a win these days. I’m going to train now on big boards and big sails for Sylt and just aim to get a high finish in the 2006 rankings. The wave tour will remain my main focus as its my favorite discipline even if my rankings are lower than my freestyle status’

The women’s event was settled without a re-sail. However Sarah-Quita Offringa’s (Starboard / NeilPryde) second place secured her the runner’s-up spot for 2007 – no mean feat aged just 16.

Laure Treboux (Naish / Naish) of Switzerland beat Spanish stylist Nayra Alonso in the women’s loser’s final.

Daida Moreno talked to us about her fifth world title in the cut-throat women’s freestyle fleet. ‘I’m stoked as this year the title was between Sarah-Quita and I, and it was really close in the end. I came here confident and focused and everything was working perfectly with my boards and sails. I know everyone wanted to see a new name win through and that really motivated me to go for it even more. In the winter I only really trained in the waves and put freestyle to one side. But the two new boards I had ready for this event were amazing and so I felt more motivated than ever to sail my best’

Sotavento once more delivered a stunning racing and freestyle spectacle for the loyal crowds who flock to see the action. For over 20 years the Rene Egli Pro Center has hosted elite level competition and witnessed standards shoot through the ceiling. 2007 was no exception, so we thank our hosts and look forward to returning once again in July ‘08.

Men’s Freestyle Final results

1. Marcilio Browne (Mistral / Gaastra)
2. Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra)
3. Thomas Traversa (Tabou / Gaastra)
4. Tonky Frans (F2 /Gaastra)
5. Anthony Ruenes (Tabou / Gaastra)
6. Ricardo Campello (JP / NeilPryde)

Equal 7th Colin Sifferlen (Starboard / Simmer) – Jose Estredo (Fanatic / North)

Men’s Overall Freestyle Rankings so far in 2007

1. Marcilio Browne (Mistral / Gaastra)
2. Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra)
3. Thomas Traversa (Tabou / Gaastra)
4. Jose Estredo (Fanatic / North)
5. Ricardo Campello (JP / NeilPryde)

Women’s Freestyle Final results:

1. Daida Moreno (North)
2. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde)
3. Laure Treboux (Naish / Naish)
4. Nayra Alonso (Fanatic / Severne)
5. Silvia Alba
6. Yoli de Brendt (Fanatic / North)
Joint 7th Junko Nagoshi (F2 / Simmer) – Iballa Moreno (North)

Women’s 2007 Overall Freestyle Rankings

1. Daida Moreno (North)
2. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde)
3. Laure Treboux (Naish / Naish)
4. Nayra Alonso (Fanatic / Severne)
5. Silvia Alba

You can review all the action from this event and more at www.pwaworldtour.com to read daily news summaries, browse awesome photo galleries, view online elimination ladders, watch insane video action and more!

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production