News

BRYONY GETS GOLD AT PRE-OLYMPS!!!!

BRYONY GETS GOLD AT PRE-OLYMPS!!!!

It sounds like it was a pretty tricky and decidedly light wind event overall, with extremely inclement conditions. Nevertheless, that may well be what it’s going to be like at the Olympics next year – and Britain’s Bryony Shaw has clearly shown she’s got what it takes.

After a disappointing result at the World Championships (which was a very different sort of event, being pretty windy throughout), she went to the Olympic test event at Qingdao determined to put herself back on the map, and sailed a pretty much faultless series.  Going in to the Medal Race (the final race of the competition, just for the top ten sailors, and scoring double points) she was in second place, just one point behind France’s Faustine Merret. However, Bryony likes Medal Races, and did well enough in the unusually strong winds (a whole 15 knots!) to take the gold medal, against a fully competitive fleet. A fantastic result!

Bryony Shaw was the second Skandia Team GBR to top the podium on Wednesday – a fourth in the medal race was enough for her to clinch gold ahead of former Olympic champion Alessandra Sensini of Italy, and Australia’s world bronze medallist Jessica Crisp.

“I’m just so happy with my performance here,” said an elated Shaw afterwards.  “Before today’s race started I was hoping there would be wind and I got my wish!

“I’ve had a bit of an up and down year, but I’ve put in so much work for this regatta and I’m just so pleased that everything has come together all at the right time.  Winning here has given me a huge confidence boost and I’m really looking forward to hopefully being here next year!”

2007 Qingdao International Regatta (Olympic Test Event) Results

RS:X Women (FINAL)

1.Bryony Shaw, GBR (19pts)

2. Alessandra Sensini, ITA (23.6pts)

3. Jessica Crisp, AUS (27pts)

Finn (FINAL)

1. Ben Ainslie, GBR (26pts)

2. Pieter Jan Postma, NED (34pts)

3. Peer Moberg, NOR (36pts)

49er (FINAL)

1. Stevie Morrison-Ben Rhodes, GBR (50pts)

2. Martinez-Xavier Fernandez, ESP (51pts)

3. Peter Hansen-Soren Hansen, DEN (58pts)

470 Men (FINAL)

1. 2. Nathan Wilmot-Malcolm Page, AUS (30pts)

2. Nick Rogers-Joe Glanfield, GBR (35pts)

3. Alvaro Marinho-Miguel Nunes (58pts)

Star

1. Robert Scheidt-Bruno Prada, BRA (19pts)

2. Hamish Pepper-Carl Williams, NZL (23pts)

3. Xavier Rohart-Pascal Rambeau, FRA (27pts)

GBR

6. Iain Percy-Andrew Simpson (40pts)

Tornado (FINAL)

1. Roman Hagara-Hans Peter Steinacher, AUT (14pts)

2. Darren Bundock-Glenn Ashby, AUS (21pts)

3. Xavier Revil-Christophe Espagnon, FRA (26pts)

GBR

6. Leigh McMillan-Will Howden (39pts)

Yngling

1. Sally Barkow-Carrie Howe-Debbie Capozzi, USA (20pts)

2. Sarah Ayton-Sarah Webb-Pippa Wilson, GBR (21pts)

3. Renee Groeneveld-Annemieke Bess-Marije Kampen (28pts)

Laser

1. Paul Goodison, GBR (48pts)

2. Rasmus Myrgren, SWE (53pts)

3. Maciej Grabowski, POL (58pts)

Laser Radial

1. Anna Tunnicliffe, USA (28pts)

2. Jo Aleh, NZL (39pts)

3. Tine Mihelic, CRO (58pts)

GBR

6. Charlotte Dobson (75pts)

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production