News

LANCELIN OCEAN CLASSIC 2008

Lancelin Ocean Classic 2008

In 2008 The Lancelin Ocean Classic has been entered in the Guinness Book Of World records as the longest running windsurfing race on the planet as 2008 sees the Lancelin Ocean Classic running 23 years straight!

The Lancelin Ocean Classic took place for the 23rd time from the 10th to the 13th of January at Lancelin/Western Australia and got a big success.
The organisers saw results in both disciplines: Wave and Long Distance Racing.

WAVERIDING
1. Glenn Alexander (Kinetic/Severne)
2. Luke Walmsley (Severne)
3. Scott McKercher (Starboard/Severne)
4. Jaeger Stone (Starboard/Severne)

Ben Severne: “We held a full double-elimination contest over 2 days in head to half-mast high waves. Somehow the best conditions arrived just as we were starting the final, which isn’t the way it normally goes down… Luke Walmsley used his local knowledge to take down most of the fleet on the final day, just running out of steam in the final. Glenn Alexander has been winning pretty much every wave event in WA this season, and this time walked away with the $1000 prize.”

RACING
1. Peter Volwater (F2/North)
2. Patrik Diethelm (F2/North)
3. Chris Lockwood (CarbonArt/KA)
4. Dan Engdahl (Severne)

Ben Severne: “Over 170 people lined up for the beach start in a 20 knot seabreeze. After about 30km, there was less than a metre between Volwater and Diethelm. Volwater actually hit the beach a second after Diethelm, but sprinted up the beach to overtake him on the finish line. Epic finish to an epic race. First prize was $1500, most of which Volwater spent at the bar on Saturday night.”

Peter Volwater: “Since a few years of light wind racing during this classic,  the forecast was finally for a strong seabreeze, how Per would have wanted to have it!

The beach was packed: 180 competitors entered in all fleets. Additionally a lot of spectators and people who started even without registering, like Ty Bodycoat. (that’s right he was on PWA tour a few years ago, wave sailing and killing it) sailing the marathon for just the fun of it!

After winning this race 2 years ago I was on the bottom of the start line and realized I had to get a good start not to get covered by all the sails on top of me.
It’s typical to get caught with no wind trying to water start, swimming around in the seaweed..

I had a fast start and managed to get to the first boat in a leading position, followed closely by Patrik – on a North 7,8 WARP 2008 – 1 m2 bigger then me. He was flying!
Soon he rolled me, but the race is long and as he was also on a big board, so I hoped in the choppy waters with lots of seaweed and dangerous ropes / cray lines  I would still have a chance in the end, if I kept pushing.

Sure enough after rounding the last of 7 cray boats – the legendary “Kezba”- on the home stretch I got really close to him; down the south passage reef there was only a few meters between us.
He was approaching the beach first, following closely behind I took a slightly higher line. I was going to take all the risks!
Going a little faster hitting the fin in the shallow water near the beach, I let myself catapult onto the beach at full speed. Meanwhile Patrik also fell onto the beach and we both got up and started sprinting for the finish.

As it was Patriks first ever Ledge to Lancelin, he was a little confused what to do and tried to tackle me as a last resort. But I just dodged his Australian rules football tackle and was the first to read the hand number to the girls in the caravan.  It must’ve been the most spectacular finish ever in a race and Patrik meant serious when he said he’s going to win next years race.
The party at Lancelin Tavern has to rate *****, good people, very good band and not to forget the Miss Summer Girl contest!

Cheers from Australia where the wind is blowing and temp is steady 35 C”

History of the Event
The Lancelin Ocean Classic, a world renowned windsurfing event, started as a Lancelin Chamber of Commerce project with humble beginnings in 1986 with a few enthusiastic windsurfers and a handful of competitors for a one-day event, the Ledge to Lancelin Ocean Marathon. The event is now run over four days, with three disciplines of the sport. The first two days, Thursday and Friday consist of Wave sailing, Saturday the Marathon and Sunday slalom.

The marathon is a down wind course of approximately 25 kilometres and over the years has seen from 200 to 400 starters, many entering just to try to complete the gruelling course.

The Lancelin Ocean Classic is the most prestigious and longest running windsurf event in Australia. Competitors and spectators come from all over the world. The event attracts 3000 to 5000 visitors to Lancelin. Windsurfing and the Lancelin Ocean Classic are a major tourism asset for the town and West Australia. International competitors from Colombia, British Virgin Islands, Canada, America, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Scotland, Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, England, France and Japan all take part in this internationally recognised event. Many of the International competitors are ranked in the top five in their home countries.

The event now in its 23rd year, promises to be bigger and better with a committed workforce from the local Chamber of Commerce and various volunteers. We have been fortunate enough to gain sponsorship from the local and corporate business, making it possible for this years event to be the best ever. “Lancelin Ocean Classic” in the Guinness Book Of World record.

EVERY year has seen a legendary party go down on the Saturday night – with fireworks, live music and a massive BLAST had by all.
There are categories for all levels including juniors, seniors, ladies and amateurs – as well as the world famous professional windsurfers that show up every year for this famous event.

The 2008 Lancelin Ocean Classic has been dedicated to the memory of our dear friend and fellow windsurfer – Per Andersson – who loved nothing more than to windsurf at Lancelin.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production