News

Poole Slalom Club Latest

Poole Slalom Club Latest

Roger Clark reports:

Oi! Poole council can you put the lane markers back – seriously though, I turned up early in the hope that I could lay a 4 buoy downwind course using two of our own buoys only to find that the council had removed all the yellow buoys that we had used before at Branksome Dean Chine. So, if any of you know a good contact in the recreation department on the local council please let me know – we could do with a permanent course at this spot.

The wind wasn’t going to help as it was cross-on at first and due to swing cross shore later in the afternoon. Luckily there was a buoy out to sea that we could use as the outer mark, so figure of 8 it was. As the wind swung around we had to move the buoy several times so the course would work – thanks James and Ed. James here’s a tip, don’t come first all the time and you won’t have to move the buoy.

Initially I went out on a 7.2 and my 76 wide JP for the first race, but decided to change down to my 60 wide JP for the remaining 6 or 7 races (I lost count). Although great fun at the outer gybe mark it was too small at the inner mark – I really need a 68 wide, where’s my cheque book.

The ‘Dinsmore’ was on top form and had the perfect board combo (7.8 & iSonic 111) – the wind at inside buoy was lighter and set in the waves, so extra width was valuable. We were joined by a several more after the first few races, including Guy Cribb fresh from his successful channel crossing. During a break in the racing Guy gave us the lowdown on the 70 mile crossing with Antoine Albeau, he used a 5.8m and was struggling to find wind at the bottom of 3m waves and they broke one of the support RIBs – I also understand that they didn’t have permission from the French coast guard for the crossing!

In total there were a dozen or so racers, including all the co-ordinators – James Dinsmore, Fred Willis, Guy Cribb, Ed Britnell and myself – I think a big pat on the pack is due to all of us, for some excellent racing this year – we now have 87 subscribers.

If any of you have yet to come along and race, please understand that everyone is welcome and the format is very informal and you don’t necessarily need slalom kit, although of course once the bug has bitten you will no doubt be searching the UKWA forum for suitable kit.

Roger

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production