Tushingham Sails GPS Speed Challenge – Attention ALL windsurfers!
Many windsurfers aren’t speed “specialists” but use GPS to improve personal bests on wave, freestyle or freeride gear, sparking countless personal battles between friends, having just as much fun trying to break 20 or 30 knots as the pro’s heading way past 40. In recent years a group of keen speed sailors has grown in the UK, communicating mostly by e-mail. In the days leading up to a windy weekend, when good speed sailing conditions are likely, gatherings called “Ultimate Speed Meetings” (U.S.M.) are called. They’ve been successful in bringing together speed enthusiasts, building a strong community of like-minded windsurfers. However, the e-mail list barely scratches the surface of the surface of the masses of windsurfers using GPS devices to record speeds.
Tushingham have seen what a success the USM format can be, with fantastic camaraderie between sailors. Events provide excellent opportunities for riders to improve, thanks to tips from the experts on rigging and sailing. So this year, in addition to sponsoring the GPS Speedsurfing site www.gps-speedsurfing.com we are aiming to draw new riders into the UK speed scene by calling a few U.S.M. with extra attractions for the participants. We’re reaching out a little wider to invite all windsurfers with a suitable GPS device to come along to speed days and have a go. There are no complicated rules and anyone on any kit are welcome.
It’s just about going windsurfing as fast as possible – whatever your ability and whatever gear you’re on!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- To sign up for the e-mail list simply visit www.tushingham.com/gps-speed to register your name and e-mail address.
- Tushingham will send out a USM “advisory” of day and location by e-mail on the Monday before a potential speed day. On the Thursday lunchtime the latest weather forecast will determine whether it’s a USM “GO!” or postponement.
- When date and location have been confirmed by e-mail, simply turn up, sail fast (recording the data) and then upload to the GPS Speedsurfing website – www.gps-speedsurfing.com within 7 days.
- For those not already a member of GPS Speedsurfing or unfamiliar with how to upload the results, there will be experts on hand with laptops to show how to do so.
- For each USM, full results will be posted on www.tushingham.com/gps-speed and www.gps-speedsurfing.com
Prizes will be on offer to the fastest female and male at each event but to encourage participation, the main prize, a brand new 2009 Tushingham X-15 rig, will be drawn at the end of September from a list of every rider who uploads his or her GPS tracks from the USM events.
All abilities and any windsurfing kit welcome at the USM events. Up to five Tushingham USM’s will be called at different locations around the UK between April and September. Tushingham and Starboard speed kit will be available on demo to test, plus team riders on hand offering sailing, rigging and tuning tips. What’s more the events will only be called on a good forecast, minimising the chance of wasted journeys! Speed novice or world record holder, the Tushingham USM events will be a real blast and a great chance to hit the water with a bunch of speedsters of all abilities!