News

2009 PWA Costa Brava Slalom – Day 3

After yesterday’s fast and furious day of racing, light winds presented the opportunity for the PWA slalom fleet to reflect on the first race, rest aching muscles and re-charge their batteries.  

Day 3 dawned with a promising forecast, clear skies, beautiful sunshine and a light breeze. All the signs were in place for the local thermal winds to kick in and jump-start Race 2 into action. Unfortunately as the wind increased, high altitude clouds blocked the sun and with it, shut down any hope of competition for the day. 

Sailors spent their time enjoying the wonderful Ballena Alegre campsite, playing tennis, bike riding, card games on the veranda and even ukulele playing. We caught up with yesterdays star performers and asked them how race 1 went for them.

Women’s winner Valerie Ghibaudo (Tabou/The Loft)
“I am really happy. I had a great race. My start was nice and I could exit the first gybe in first place. From there it is always easier and I could hold on for the win. I am really happy!”

Second place finisher Karin Jaggi (F2/Severne)
“I made a mistake with my timing and arrived too early at the start. I managed to slow down and cross the line on the gun, but my speed was lost and I couldn’t get in front of Valerie. Its really hard to overtake from that position.”

Third place finisher Marta Hlavaty (Starboard/MauiSails)
“I am a little surprised, but very happy. I have been focusing more on RSX, but I think in these difficult gusty conditions that was probably an advantage.”

Men’s winner Antoine Albeau (JP/NeilPryde)
“It was a tough race. I think it was all about the first gybe. I came in right behind Steve Allen and Micah Buzianis, but had a really tight gybe and came out planing above them both. From that position I could use my speed to get ahead. Once in the lead it was easy to hold my position.”

Second place finisher Ross Williams (Tabou/Gaastra)
“The conditions were really difficult. Gusty winds and big lulls made it very hard work. I arrived at the first gybe in fourth, but came out in a good position and was able to move into second down the next reach. I chased Antoine but there was no way past him.”

Third place finisher Steve Allen.
“I started at the boat end of the line on my own and when I arrived at the first gybe I didn’t really realize that I was in top position. It was really tight with Micah and Antoine, but I made a small mistake when I exited the gybe, heading towards the wrong mark for a fraction of a second. That was all Antoine needed to come get over the top and kill my wind. I was so focused on getting first that in the end I went too low on the reach and let Ross go ahead too.”

The forecast for tomorrow is similar to today, so if the cloud stays away we could be in for a strong sea breeze in the afternoon. Be sure to check www.pwaworldtour.com for all the latest photos, a full list of results and the live ticker report.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production