News

Gold for Izzy at RS:X Youth Worlds

Gold for windsurfer Hamilton at RS:X Youth Worlds

Bude schoolgirl Izzy Hamilton is on top of the world after winning gold at windsurfing’s RS:X Youth World Championship in Bodrum, Turkey, this weekend.

The 16-year-old is now Britain’s first ever windsurfing Youth World Champion after beating 30 other up and coming young stars to the RS:X Youth World title after six days of racing in the Turkish venue, adding gold to her silver medal from the multi-class Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship in Brazil last month.

Hamilton, who is a member of the RYA Volvo Youth National Squad, held her nerve after picked up a disqualification in one race early on in the regatta for crossing the start line early.  But she bounced back in style to pick up six race wins across the twelve races and cement her position at the top of the leaderboard.

“The wind was around 15-20 knots towards the end of the week and those conditions really suit me so I was confident of a good finish,” explained Hamilton.

“I was really happy with my silver at the ISAF Youth Worlds, but now I’ve got the gold and am a World Champion, it’s just fantastic!”

Clevedon’s Ali Masters was the top ranking Brit in the 78-board boy’s fleet, finishing sixth overall.

RYA Youth Racing Manager Duncan Truswell paid tribute to Hamilton’s success.

“I am really pleased to see Izzy deliver another excellent performance at a significant major regatta in such quick succession to the silver she won at the Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship at the beginning of July.”

“It is not easy to deliver consecutive peak performances at two of the biggest events of her life in the space of a month. To do so requires robust mental skills, routines and of course fitness – I am pleased to see that all the hard work she has put in, both alone down in Cornwall and with her coaches and the squad during training has paid off.

Truswell continued: “I would like to add my congratulations to Dom Tidey and the small group of RYA National Windsurfing coaches who have worked with Izzy, they have been relentlessly passionate and professional in supporting her along the journey.”

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production