News

First Steps With Baker

WORLD CHAMPION WINDSURFER NIK BAKER, LAGOON WATERSPORTS AND WHITE AIR FESTIVAL JOIN FORCES FOR THE KIDS

40 EXHILARATING SPORTS, 3 DAYS, 1 IDYLLIC LOCATION

BRIGHTON BEACH

September 18th, 19th, 20th 2009 – Madeira Drive, Brighton

www.whiteair.co.uk

One of the biggest names in the Windsurfing world volunteered his time to teach budding windsurfers at Lagoon Watersports, Hove Lagoon at a one-off masterclass, ahead of next week’s White Air Extreme Sports and Music Festival, which starts on Friday 18th September.

The masterclass was aimed at 9-12 years olds to help them learn tips and techniques from the legendary World Champion whilst improving their skills on the water.

22 children from the OnBoard initiative were taught how to windsurf in a two-hour session, hosted by White Air participant and star Nik Baker, who will be performing at this year’s festival, and his brother Ant was there to lend a helping hand. Brighton trained Nik Baker, who is set to perform in front of the extreme sports world alumni at White Air Festival, is a former World Champion and coach to man of the moment Peter Andre. Nik has been winning windsurfing titles around the world since the early 1990s and he was one spot off the PWA World Title this year!  He is idolised by windsurfers and is arguably Britain’s most successful and best-known windsurfer of all time.

Nik Baker said:

“It’s been a great experience coming to Hove Lagoon to lend my expertise to the children. We started with some basic technique teaching, but some of the kids picked up on the easy stuff really quickly, so before long they were trying their hand at the more technical stuff. I think I may have some serious competition on my hands!

“As someone who is from the area, I would love to see some more Windsurfing talent coming out of the region, you never know, one of the guys here today could be a future superstar. Hopefully, if the children come along to White Air Festival next week they will be able to identify some of the tricks of the trade that various Windsurfers are using – it should be a good way to impress their mates.”

Nigel Howell founder of White Air Festival:

“We’re thrilled to join forces with Nick to make this once in a lifetime opportunity happen for the children and we look forward to them coming down to the festival and seeing the abundance of extreme sports that are on offer at the festival, hopefully they will be there in years to come as demonstrators!”

Mark Saul, Lagoon Watersports and OnBoard Development Officer for Sussex:

“We’re very grateful to Nick and White Air for taking the time to come and visit us, it’s been a fantastic experience for all the children who attended the session. We’re always looking to offer the young people within the local community something different, and this certainly fitted the bill.

“At Lagoon Watersports we’re always looking to introduce new skills and interests, and I think it’s the first time they have had the opportunity to be taught by world class and influential talent in the field, let alone by someone who will be taking part in the worlds second largest extreme sports festival, White Air. We’re all looking forward to going along to the event and seeing Nik in action.”

Check out this short video to find out more http://blip.tv/file/2590901 

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production