News

BWA Ireland 2011 – Day 2 Update

BWA Ireland 2011

After two days of British Wavesailing Association competition at Brandon Bay, Ireland, for round two of the BWA series Dumps has at least delivered enough to guarantee a result in every fleet. After a full double elimination, Aleksy Gayda leads the amateurs from Lewis Merrony, Niall Mellon and Alfie Hart. The masters double saw Mark Lloyd wrestling the lead away from Dave White. Sarah Bibby posted her second win against Katie McAnena to lead the ladies. And after a single elimination, Ben Proffitt leads the pro fleet from Phil Horrocks, Adam Lewis and Rob Jones. More from days 1 & 2 at britishwavesailingassociation.com

And here’s this morning’s write-up from the BWA / Pura Vida’s Jim Brooks-Dowsett:

Delivering some great heats in all fields at Dumps the swell had gradually picked up and wind turned to get the pros out for a late showdown at Gowlaine. The conditions were a bit light and gusty, but with a small clean wave the heats were run through to complete round 1 of the Ireland leg.

After a good result in Rhosneigr one of the hot favourites for this year, Bubble, didn’t quite make the final. Despite getting on real well over at Dumps, the beach change didn’t seem to work in his favour. He said “It was great fun in the heats, but just hard to choose the better waves for me at times. I’ve got a bit of work ahead to get back in the double elimination but it was super close yesterday and I’m well up for it!”

Rob Jones gave a solid performance to work through and impressed the judges with excellent waveriding and selection upsetting the ranks a bit and opening up the competition for the next few days.

Adam Lewis gave a solid performance in Rhosneigr and really grabbed everyones attention, and has been pushing forward here logging serious hours on the water… definitely one to watch this year! He earned his spot in the final and sailed solidly to 3rd place.

Phil having beaten Ben on home ground for the Welsh event, both Funsport boys are head-to-head in Ireland and the atmosphere for the top spot is great! Ben starts the double elimination in 1st place with Phil Horrocks keen to take it off him and both are set to meet in the later heats of the day.

Ben commented “The best man won of course, ha ha! The heats were tricky with unpredictable swell and patchy wind. I had a difficult semi final so opted for a board change and was as patient as possible in the final to wait out the best sets – and it paid off!”

Phil put it down to a bit of luck and a bit of experience to get to the final – “I managed to choose some good waves and hold out for the sets which was tough for everyone. We were all in the same conditions, but I wasn’t so lucky in the final and Ben snagged the best set wave! Everything to play for if we keep getting better conditions so looking forward to challenging the top spot today!”

Ben Proffitt 1st, Phil Horrocks 2nd, Adam Lewis 3rd, Rob Jones 4th going into round 2.

Going into day 2 for the amateurs it’s never been so close with so much talent on the water at one event! Young Aleksy Gayda is waiting for a tough battle to keep his top spot today, and Emile Kott has been busting his way through the double elimination to get back in the final… more news to follow as the final heats for the day run out.

Somehow, between heats Whitey still had time to take some shots – and here’s his gallery of the action so far…

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production