Forty one young windsurfers battled for supremacy at Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club on Sunday 27th June when the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) Team15 Championship arrived in the north east of England. The young windsurfers, from clubs throughout the north east, Yorkshire and Humberside regions, were all taking part in round one of this year’s Team15 Championship.
The competitors, all of whom are 15 years of age or under, sail for their local team and the team with the best score at the end of the summer wins the RYA North Zone Team15 Championship and gets to compete against all the other RYA Zone winners for the UK Team15 Champions Cup.
Seven teams from the RYA North Zone have entered this year’s competition:
Pugneys Pirates (Wakefield)
Coquet Crushers (Amble)
Covenham Cyclones (Louth)
Ellerton Scouts (Richmond)
Rother Valley (Rotherham)
North Lincs Invaders (Barton on Humber)
Derwent Devils (Newcastle upon Tyne)
“The event on Sunday was great,” said David Dobson, RYA North Zone Team15 Co-ordinator. “The weather was just right. All the kids enjoyed it and there were some fabulous performances. 12 year old Lewis Russell from the North Lincs Invaders was outstanding. He has only been windsurfing for a year and he won almost every race in the 4.5m class. 13 year old Ruben Lansley is another great talent from the North Lincs Invaders, putting in a fantastic performance to win the 6.8m class.”
There were some good individual performances from youngsters from Pugneys Pirates and the Derwent Devils but the team to beat were definitely the North Lincs Invaders, 2009 UK Team15 Champions, and they stamped their authority on this year’s competition from the word go.
“Our youngsters have been training hard all winter, even in the worst conditions,” explained Mark Butler, the new team coach for the North Lincs Invaders. “I’m really proud of their performance this weekend. We have lost a few members due to National Squad selection so we have a young team and we are looking forward to the rest of the season.”
Overall Results RYA North Zone Team15 – Round 1 (to 5th place)
1. Fiona Anderson (10yrs) – Pugneys Pirates
2. Sidonie Graham (12yrs) – Derwent Devils
3. Joseph Thompson (11yrs) – Pugneys Pirates
4. Jacob Collett (12yrs) – Pugneys Pirates
5. Harry Pulham (15yrs) – Derwent Devils
1. Lewis Russell (12yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
2. Jack Bramley (12yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
3. Joe Wallbank (15yrs) – Derwent Devils
4. Lottie Phillips (15yrs) – Derwent Devils
5. Eve Collett (13yrs) – Pugneys Pirates
1. Harry Davis (11yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
2. Jordan Howram (12yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
3. Jack Lennon (12yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
4. Sarah Labourne (11yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
5. Kathryn Durham (14yrs) – Pugneys Pirates
1. Ruben Lansley (13yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
2. John Davis (13yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
3. Max Butler (15yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
4. Charlotte Seal (13yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
5. Jacob Newton (13yrs) – North Lincs Invaders
Supported by industry leaders Tushingham/Starboard, Windsurf magazine, Boards magazine, Neil Pryde and Boardwise, T15 was set up by the RYA to help make windsurfing more accessible and appealing to youngsters at a grass roots level.
Fun and informal training sessions take place at T15 clubs all over the country for kids up to the age of 15, which are run weekly by specialist RYA coaches. The T15 inter-club championship takes place regionally over the summer adding a competitive edge and race training for those keen to hone their skills. Kit can be borrowed from the clubs and the cost of sessions is kept low.
To get involved with Team15 and locate your nearest local club visit www.team15.org.uk or contact the RYA 0845 345 0400.
The next round of this year’s North Zone Team15 Championship is on the Invaders home waters at Barton upon Humber on Sunday 11th July.