Travel

A Day in the Life of Ollie Scott – Resort Manager at Club Vass

We all know the stereotype of a summer seasons job at a windsurfing club, but what does it really take to be a resort manager? We caught up with Ollie Scott resort manager at Club Vass to find out exactly what his day looks like:

My day normally starts early with a swim in Vassiliki bay. It’s so peaceful at that time and a great temperature for some early morning activity. The restaurant opens at 8:00 so I check that the relevant staff (the chefs and waitresses) have arrived for work and are all on their toes! Then I grab a bite and have a meeting with Rosie, our hotel manager. It starts to get busy as the mountain bike ride and SUP fitness groups arrive back for a well earned full English. I check with the guides that all has gone smoothly. By 9.00 the instructors start arriving for their breakfast. It’s like feeding time at the zoo, so I generally disappear to the office to get a head start on the day’s e-mails, accounting and general admin.

The beach team meeting starts at 10.00 sharp in the beach hut, led by senior instructor Marco. It’s a key part of the day, as we discuss any issues from the day before, such as a lesson that went well or a problem that needs to be sorted. Safety is a top priority, and we always try to learn from anything that has happened and improve. I expect all the instructors to have a lesson plan, and this is a good chance for everyone to bounce ideas around. We’ll often start planning entertainment for the big Club Vass BBQ on Friday night – this is a big highlight of the week for everyone!

It’s time to open the racks to start lessons at 10:30 as the light onshore breeze kicks in. I always make time to go to the kids’ club to check that everyone’s happy. Kid’s windsurfing needs a bit more input from me and we need to check conditions are suitable (it’s usually fine in the mornings, but much trickier in the afternoons). Up in the shop it’s usually manic by now. Rosie updates me on what’s going on; anything and everything from private windsurf bookings, mountain biking, yoga and SUPs to dealing with queries on beach towels, sunbeds etc. But the most frequently asked question of all is ‘when will it be WINDY’? If I had a pound for every time I’m asked that…ha-ha!

Throughout the day I’m back and forth between the beach, the club, the restaurant, the hotel and my office. I’m constantly on the go and I often feel I need eyes in the back of my head. On the beach, I’ll coordinate with Marco & the guys to make sure all is running smoothly. I’ll stay down to help if it’s busy, and also use the time to keep tabs on what’s going on. Back at the club I’ll sort any problems with the restaurant & bar manager, maybe over a quick cuppa if I’m lucky. I may venture into the kitchen to check things with the chefs, sometimes treading on eggshells to keep everyone happy! I usually catch up with the Club Vass owners, Tony Booth and Roger Green, as it’s important we all work together very closely. My phone rings all the time; it could be Rosie or Marco sorting out rentals or any other matter. Occasionally there’s an accident, for example a guest has come off their mountain bike or been wacked by a mast and I need to get them to the med centre, which is luckily close by and very professional.

I’ll normally have a late lunch, and take the opportunity to chat to guests on the terrace. Many have been coming for years and they are like old friends, but it’s important to make newcomers feel equally part of it all. Any time of the day I make time to find out what they’ve been up to or sort out any issue, big or small. It could be anything from a blown light bulb to discussing the finer points of how their forward loops are coming along! It’s especially good to get feedback on the windsurfing, the instructors and the kit; this is what make it all worthwhile.

Then it’s time for afternoon lessons including ProKids, if they are ok to go out in the stronger wind. By now the much waited cross-shore has kicked in and the whole beach front goes a bit crazy. The atmosphere is electric and I love this point in the day. I’ll help on the beach, tuning gear for guests and making recommendations on kit choice. Most of the time I’ll be moving up and down between the beach, club, restaurant and office, keeping in touch with Marco & Rosie. I really need to be constantly aware of what’s going on, everywhere.

By mid-afternoon, it’s usually classic Vass conditions and the beach settles down, with everyone out blasting and learning new skills & tricks (or watching from the sunbeds). As the lessons end the instructors get a chance to show off their skills, taking turns to ensure there are always enough on duty for rescue and helping clients. By now, some guests will be hitting the beach bar, whilst others may be refueling with afternoon tea and cakes before another session on the water. By late afternoon it’s playtime for me. If the wind says slalom, I’ll go for a blast on the RRD Firestorm and Severne NCX 7.0. If it’s howling it will be freestyle on my 4.5m. Either way I’m happy just to get out there and give the boys (like PWA rider Max Rowe, Jamie Howard, Pip Pardoe etc.) a run for their money!

Then it’s off the water and over to the beach bar, which by now is buzzing with everyone enjoying a very happy Happy Hour! I’ll hang out and relive the day’s windsurfing, which let’s face it is what it’s all about. The beach closes when the wind stops and all the instructors join in at the beach bar. After a bit I’ll head up to check what’s happening in the hotel & restaurant and prepare for the following day. Then it’s time for dinner at the club, possibly joining guests or staff, before heading home around 10.00. I may just chill or head into town for a few beers with friends. But the phone doesn’t stop… I may be summoned back to the club because some poor guest needs to go to the med centre, even in the middle of the night. Happily, it’s more likely to just be someone locked out of their room after a few too many cocktails and good times!!

For more info please check out the Club Vass website: http://www.clubvass.com/pages/offers

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production