Features

Ben Proffitt Wins 2014 Windsurfer of the Year

Congratulations to Ben Proffitt who has taken the win in the battle for 2014 UKWA windsurfer of the year!

Ben Proffitt, nailing the gybes at the PWA Poland Indoors. Image credit PWA/JC.

With the 2014 line up for WOTY the winner was a very tough one to predict. With such a formidable line up of nominees, from all disciplines in UK windsurfing, including:

Ben Proffitt ​​​for Wave​​

James Dinsmore​ ​for Slalom​

Jim Crossley ​​for Speed​​

Emma Wilson ​​for Racing​​​

Max Rowe​​​ for Freestyle​

The voting was definitely very close with the lead changing 3 times over the eight weeks of voting. But in the end a very popular winner Ben Proffitt came out on top. He will be handed the trophy by last years winner Farrel Oshea and join a long line of previous winners including Nick Dempsey, Bryony Shaw, Zara Davis and Izzy Hamilton to name but a few.

What Ben had to say when he found out.

“Awesome news thanks …to be honest if I’d lost to Emma Wilson I really wouldn’t have been upset as she had a great achievement this year winning the worlds!

But I’m super happy to win, for me I won the biggest thing I could have won this year and something I’d dreamed of as a kid growing up. Standing on the top of the podium in the Indoor really was special and something that doesn’t happen very often.

So winning the UK windsurfer of the year award really is the icing on the cake for a great year for me.

Thanks to everyone that voted for me and that have supported me all year, you’ve all helped heaps. Also a massive thanks to my Sponsors Simmer Style, Oshea, Doppstadt and funsport for all the help over the years and last but not least my parents who got me into this amazing sport and drove me around in the early days. I’m not really sure where I would be today with out all your help, thanks. Fingers crossed for a bigger and better 2015! …Or more of the same would be good to!”

All the nominees agreed it was a great honor to have been nominated for the award in their respective disciplines and appreciated the support the public gave in voting for them.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production