PWA Fuerteventura: GetWindsurfing Reports - Page 6 of 9 - Boards Windsurfing

Windsurfing Magazine



PWA Fuerteventura: GetWindsurfing Reports

Day thee kicked off and FINALLY some wind arrived! By 11am we were out on the water in some freakishly gusty 10-25 knot winds. I rigged 7.0 and my medium board (107L) with most of the bigger guys on 7.8 and medium boards and the heats began …

I had a relatively tough heat with Finian Maynard, Josh Angulo, Peter Bijl and Micah Buzianis but managed to beat Finian and Josh in to 3rd before the heat was abandoned after the finish. Fairly ridiculous decision in my opinion as Finian had no troubles getting around the course at +100kg on a 7.8, so to me that says there is a bit of wind! We had a break for 30 mins while the wind shifted and went up and down before NUKING during the re-run of our heat. I thankfully stayed on 7.0 but the guys on bigger sails got worked and Josh had a nasty crash leading in to the 2nd mark which allowed me to grab 4th place and a spot in the quarter finals. Josh wasn’t the only one to go down in a heat though with Taty Frans having a horrific crash in to the mark at the third gybe and never recovered.

In my quarter final, the wind began to really pickup over the midday sun and I changed down to 6.3 and my small board (80L) with most of the guys on 6.3/7.0 sails and the chop beginning to build. I had a terrible start at the boat but rounded the first mark in 6th before battling it out with Tom Mallina from Czech Republic before he spat it on the last gybe and I could hang on to a 6th; sadly not enough to qualify.

Julien Quentel in the light winds. Image credit PWA/JC.

After our heat the wind just completely DIED and we were left on the beach for 4 hours with once again glassy waters in front of his. It’s so strange to have the wind come, then go, then come again here as I’m used to seeing it just nuke the entire day!

Finally, in the late afternoon the heats recommenced with the last quarter finals starting and then one of the semi-finals before once again the wind died! Another 30-min break and it was back again and stayed for the entire evening…

Around 6pm we were able to start Round 1’s winners/losers finals with the Dutch legend Benny Van Der Steen absolutely STEAMROLLING the first leg to lead start to finish in the winner’s final. Antoine Albeau managed to beat Peter Volwater in to 2nd and Bjorn was relegated to 5th after a fairly slow start and even slower speeds out of the gybes.

Ben van der Steen takes the first win. Image credit PWA/JC.

The loser’s final was the Arnon Dagan show after he started early in his semi-final despite having blistering straightline speed. The young Frenchman Pierre Montefon and Pascal Toselli brought up 2nd and 3rd in the losers final with Andrea Cucchi crashing hard at the first mark and sailing back to the beach for a DNF.

So, after nearly 3 days of waiting around on the beach, we have finally finished the FIRST round here in Fuerteventura!! The forecast looks kind of lame for the next 2 days but anything is possible here and I hope we get some good conditions to get a few more rounds in!


Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.