News

NIK BAKER AND ROBBY SWIFT 2nd AND 3rd IN WORLD

Nik, Kauli and Robby on top of the world…

2005 Nivea World Cup Sylt – Day 9

Monday October 3, 2005

The Nivea World Cup Sylt had to make due with a windless closing weekend, meaning the results as they were after Friday’s competition are the final results of the event. This unfortunately means the wave contest could not be completed, leaving the women without an official result and eight men in joined first place at the Nivea World Cup Sylt. In random order Sylt’s best wavesailing men are Greg Allaway (KA-38, Mistral/ North), Victor Fernandez (E-42, Fanatic), Nik Baker (K-66, Mistral/ North Sails), Vidar Jensen (N-44, North Sails), Kauli Seadi (BRA-253, Quatro/ Naish), Alex Mussolini (E-30, JP/ Neil Pryde), Robby Swift (K-89, JP/ Neil Pryde) and Peter Volwater (H-24, F2).

This outcome spells happy days for Kauli Seadi (BRA-253, Quatro/ Naish) as he goes home with the 2005 overall wave crown. It’s the first one of his relatively short and young career and chances are it won’t be his last.

“For me this is the ultimate goal. To become world champion depends on so many things and the level of the competition is so high. You have to have the right equipment, the right technique and lots of support”, as the fresh 2005 wave champion explains. ”This year it finally all came together for me. To achieve all that in Brazil is pretty hard, since windsurfing is very small there. But I’ve always had confidence I could do it and a lot of support from people to whom I own a great deal of this title. I did the sailing, but without them I would probably not have been able to do it.”

s05_womens overall wave title 2005e
Courtesy of pwa/carter

With no counting result on waves here in Sylt, Daida Moreno (E-64, Mistral/ North Sails) lands her sixth world wave title. “I’ve been coming here since ’97 and it’s almost always been windy here, so it’s a shame we didn’t get to finish the wave performance this year”, as Moreno comments on her title.” I will try to keep winning of course in the years to come, but the level of the other girl is rising really fast now, so it will become more difficult every year. For me, my goal is to keep improving myself and helping the other girls in the process.”

In the Slalom 42 event it was a close battle, but in the end Bjorn Dunkerbeck (E-11, North Sails) has managed to stay ahead of Micah Buzianis (USA-34, F2/ North Sails) and Antoine Albeau (F-192, Neil Pryde). This means an unprecedented situation occurs, as Bjorn Dunkerbeck (E-11, North Sails) and Micah Buzianis (USA-34, F2/ North Sails) share their first place in the final overall world rankings.

“This has never happened before”, joined world Slalom 42 champion Bjorn Dunkerbeck explains.” In the past there were regulations that ruled out this occurrence. A multi-discipline event would count more than a single discipline event or the winner of the last event would be the champion, but all these rules have now changed. So it’s a bit strange, but I’m still happy about winning.”

While this victory means an amazing 34th world title for Dunkerbeck, it is his first on in Slalom 42 as it is a brandnew discipline. He’s sharing it with Micah Buzianis (USA-34, F2/ North Sails) who comments on his path to the top here in Sylt: ”Bjorn started off very strong, taking four bullets on the first day. I pretty much thought I had lost it right there and then, but then I had some good heats and on the last day I did pretty well. In the last final it was all or nothing, so I went for it at the start and it paid off. Luckily for me, Antoine didn’t have a very good race and it was enough for me to take the title together with Bjorn. It’s a little weird, but since we’re both on the same team, it’s really a great team victory as well.”

So that’s it for the Nivea World Cup Sylt 2005 and the 2005 PWA world tour. The riders will now scatter all over the world again looking for the best conditions to train their hardest to take on each other next season, as no doubt the level will be cranked up another notch over the winterbreak. The way things are looking now the first showdown of 2006 will be the London Boat Show, where the PWA fleet go all out indoor style.

© PWA/ van Weel

MEN’S SLALOM 42 RESULTS
FINAL 2005 MEN’S SLALOM 42 RANKING
MEN’S WAVE RESULTS
FINAL 2005 MEN’S WAVE RANKING
FINAL 2005 WOMEN’S WAVE RANKING

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production