News

Tiree 2005 No Wind Wednesday…

No wind Wednesday. A day off for everyone up here in Tiree. The day dawned wet and with only about 5 or 6 knots tickling the shore, but few people cared or even knew about it after yet another big night at the Tiree Lodge Hotel. 

Other news:

Bob Shillito won the second round of the nine T (Tiree Table Tennis tournament two thousand tand tive), beating Steve King in the final. The first round was won by John Skye and the third round is currently underway.

John Hibbard is back on – sorry off – the road after the replacement for his Fat Face Nissan Patrol finally arrived. I’m probably not allowed to say what happened to the first one, but this one is probably destined to go the same way.

As I said yesterday there have been plenty of debates about whether SuperX is a good idea or not. After my report on SuperX which put forward the point that some of those watching on the beach found it more than slightly frustrating because there were just sooo many crashes,  I feel it’s only fair to put the other side of the story so over to Sav from the Masters Fleet for his version…

“After a lot of banter in the morning, trying to convince all the other Masters to take part, I finally convinced five to do it. After helping to organise the buoys with Mark from Spot on Water and push the boat out fifteen times setting the course, it was at last my turn to have a go. There was quite a lot of barter on the start line between all us old boys and then we were off. I was fully maxed on my 6.1 and tucked in behind Russ Tetlow heading for the first buoy when he unexpectedly did a loop. I shouted you’re not supposed to do a loop but that is Russ for you!

Got over the first buoy clean, and pinched upwind to the second. Got over that clean and then fluffed my duck gybe, fell in and then it was a mad rush to try and catch Ruth Elliott and then I came in second but first Master.

When we got back to the start line everybody had a tale to tell and was rearing to go for the second heat, smiles all round. The second heat was not quite so windy and I fell on two of the buoys which put me down to third, second Master. The general consensus on the beach, in the Masters fleet, was that it was the best fun we could have had with the flat conditions. I also want to say a big thank you to Mark and his team for all the work they’ve put in.”

This could run and run…

Anyway, the forecast has done a dramatic turnaround (if you believe Windguru) and tomorrow we’re expecting 25 knots south west wind, and a bit of a wave, so the starboard tack boys have all perked up a bit.

Lastly thanks to Chris Hughes for the photos put up so far…

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production