Do it Standing Up!
SUP, Stand Up Paddling – a royal Hawaiian sport, now becoming the new craze and the world’s quickest growing watersport.
Starboard is preparing a line of Stand Up Paddle boards, guiding windsurfing into a whole new dimension.
Attaching a sail to the brass inserts positioned in the middle converts the board to a whole new world of amazing light wind wave sailing. The feeling of riding these long boards in the waves using the aft brass insert uncovers a new dimension…
No need to use a harness in the light winds, one can easily get onto a wave with a pump or 2 and walk the board from the tail to nose without loosing speed while riding the waves full length. Getting over the wave breaks is way easy due to the volume and length of the board. Wavesailing is suddenly possible in 2-10 knots of wind and fun even in small waves.
An optional TT box for a mid fin and usage of the front brass insert creates a fantastic light wind freestyle board for never ending rail rides and a forgiving platform to learn classic freestyle tricks.
Stand Up Paddling
– The optional mid fin creates a great deal of balance, thus acts as a tool to learn Stand Up Paddling.
– The outline template is wide in the middle for stability with a pulled in tail for surfing.
– The extra rail volume adds stability while paddling.
– The longboard rocker with extra tail kick provides an agile board compared to its size while on a wave.
– The flatter nose rocker section is a good platform for nose riding.
– The long water line and curved tail rocker promotes a pleasant glide for longer distance Stand Up paddling
– The thin 2 mm 3/4 deck EVA with foot placing indications provides great traction.
– The carry handle for easy transport.
– The leash inserts in the tail is accompanied by a tow eye underneath the nose.
– A storage net can be used with the 6 inserts situated on the deck.
The boards: Starboard 12’2” X 26 5/8” by Mark Raaphorst ( top Maui based SUP rider and shaper).
Starboard 12’6” x 30” by Svein Rasmussen/Jim Drake.
The difference between the 2 sizes:
The 12’2” x 26 5/8” more towards SUP surfing ,better suited for light wind wave sailing and more
athletic/experienced riders. The 12’6” x 30” more stability for SUP and light wind freestyle due to extra stability through added width.
Standing up on top of the ocean, leaning your body weight on the paddle that drives you over the sea. Listen to the sound of the board cutting through the water and enjoy the sparkle from the water’s reflection ahead. A grand new way to appreciate a fabulous core work-out and take any wave for a ride.
Stand Up paddling can be learned in 5 minutes, be enjoyed on any lake ,river or ocean and is great fun cross training/core work out. The Stand Up paddle board is easy to put onto the roof of a car, comfortable to carry to the beach and convenient to store. The advantage of SUP boards over a basic surf board is the added width allowing you to stand up and use a paddle thus get more power and speed. When you take off on the wave, you are already standing up surfing. The paddle further acts like a balancing pole, making it easier to turn and keep your balance.
Popular sit down kayaking and canoeing has 40 times more participation in the USA than windsurfing, indicating the limitless potential of the more accessible SUP. Dave Kalama and Laird Hamilton are currently the best known SUP athletes, Mark Raaphorst the most progressive shaper and Jeff Henderson recognised for bridging SUP with wavesailing.
Continuously pushing boundaries through innovation and quality, Starboard challenges all to “ DO IT STANDING UP!”