The PWA are now over in Turkmenistan for the next PWA slalom event of the year.
Want to get behind the scenes shots from the PWA riders? Check out who to follow here.
There was no wind on the first day at the competition (1st July) but fingers crossed for tomorrow, for now here’s 5 facts you (probably) didn’t know about Turkmenistan:
1. Turkmenistan has the world’s fourth (or fifth, depending on where you read) largest reserves of natural gas resources. This is their single biggest export and has meant a lot $$$ coming into the country over recent years.
2. Ashgabat is the capital and boasts a population around 700,000.
3. The majority of the country is desert. OK, you could probably guess that.
4. Thermal winds blow through Awaza (the site of the PWA contest), and it’s not uncommon to see winds of 25-30 knots blowing through.
5. There’s apparently a secret starboard tack waveriding spot too… could we see a further wave event added to the PWA tour next year?
View Larger Map
Sources: Wikipedia, BBC news, PWA.