UK Sailor News

YOUNG ACHIEVER’S AWARD FOR SWIFT

Young Achiever’s Award goes to world-class windsurfer
The borough council’s first-ever Young Achiever’s Award has been presented to 19 year old Robby Swift, in recognition of his outstanding sporting achievements.

Robby, who is ranked equal first in the world for freestyle windsurfing, received his award from Cllr Sue Murray, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Culture and Youth on Friday, 14 November at Leybourne Lakes.

Robby, who lives in Offham, was inspired by his dad to start windsurfing at the age of three. He took many of his early lessons at Leybourne Lakes and soon showed an outstanding ability for the sport.
The borough council has supported Robby for a number of years through its Sporting Excellence Grant and has followed his progress with interest.

Cllr Sue Murray said: “To be ranked number one in any sport is a fantastic achievement but to achieve such a high level of sporting excellence at the age of just nineteen is truly remarkable and I am delighted to be able to present this award to Robby on behalf of the council. The council is committed to helping young people to strive to be the best that they can be and I am very pleased that we have been able to support Robby in his quest to become a world champion windsurfer.”

Robby said: “I am very pleased to receive this award in recognition of what I have achieved so far and would like to thank the council for the help it has given me over the years. I have always looked up to the windsurfers on the world tour and knew from a very young age that I wanted to make a career from the sport. My aim now is to be ranked number one in both freestyle and wave categories and to be the overall world champion. ”

When Robby is in England he trains in Shoreham but he spends much of his time with his personal trainer in Hawaii where the constant wind and waves provide the perfect conditions for windsurfing. Robby will be flying to the Caribbean later this week to prepare for the final leg of this year’s world championships.

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production