UK Sailor News

PWA HAWAII PRO – FINAL DAY

The PWA Hawaii Pro Day 5 – Final Report

Monday April 5, 2004

32 year old Australian wave sensation, Jason Polakow (JP, Neil Pryde) has stormed to victory at the PWA Hawaii Pro presented by Severne sails in epic six to eight feet down the line conditions. After fighting his way through tough heats against Kauli Seadi (AHD, Naish), Levi Siver (Starboard) Kevin Pritchard (Gaastra, Starboard) and Keith Teboul, Polakow went on two defeat current world wave champion Josh Angulo twice to take the event victory here at Hookipa.

In the womens battle Karin Jaggi (F2, Arrows) of Switzerland fought back through the double elimination to challenge Motoko Sato of Japan but a broken rig lost her valuable time in the final leaving Sato free to clock up the winning points. The locals were calling it ‘all time’ here at Hookipa today with monster mast high plus waves peeling across the bay, all the way to the end bowl off the rocks. With wall to wall sunshine and perfect trades the conditions were as good as it gets for the crème de la crème of the PWA’s elite sailors to battle it out for the title at the most prestigious wave location in the world. Jason Polakow was simply on fire today showing the crowds and judges that he is still the force to be reckoned with when it comes down to pure down the line Hawaiian wave sailing conditions. Throwing huge tweaked aerials, powerhouse cutbacks and insane wave 360’s on mast high plus waves Polakow stormed his way through to the final through the opening heat with Kevin Pritchard (Gaastra, Starboard), Kauli Seadi (AHD, Naish) and Levi Siver (Siver), then defeated Pritchard followed by Keith Teboul to advance through to the final showdown with Josh Angulo.

The final could not have been scripted better with current PWA world champion Josh Angulo facing twice ex wave champion Polakow in the best conditions seen at Hookipa this season. The wave 360 seemed to be the key move today and his ability to deliver the goods when needed probably gave Polakow the edge in his heats throughout the day. In the opening final, Polakow opened taking a huge wave from the out side, ripping it up with a huge gauge and power bottom turn, followed by a clean 360 and a massive aerial on the closing mast high section. Angulo retaliated with a tweaked out one handed and gauging cutback but a 360 attempt left the world champ swimming for his rig which was swept dangerously close to the infamous Hookipa rocks. With Angulo forced to change rigs after damaging his board in the wipe out Polakow was left free to clock up more points to give him the edge in the opening final.

PWA rules govern that sailor advancing from the losers bracket has to defeat the single elimination winner twice meaning another epic showdown for the huge crowds gathered on the Hookipa hill. Once again it was Polakow who created the edge by landing yet another awesome wave 360 alongside his tweaked airs and lightning speed top turns. Angulo replied with insane contorted airs and smoking cutbacks but once again his 360 attempts let him down and opening the door for Polakow to steal the event victory.

In the womens battle, Karin Jaggi (F2, Arrows) advanced through the losers bracket in formidable fashion throwing some massive aerials as she cast aside challenges from Iballa Moreno (Mistral, North), Anne Marie Reichmann (Naish, Naish), Jennifer Henderson (Starboard) and Jenny Ellefson (Neil Pryde). Jaggi sailing with no remorse hit some of the biggest lips of the day as she battled her way through to the final showdown with Motoko Sato of Japan.

In the womens final, Sato sailed brilliantly picking off the biggest set waves and charging them all the way through to the point. Jaggi seemed to struggle finding her waves and looked frustrated by the middle of the heat still without a set wave under his belt. After finally taking a mast high bomb, Jaggi went for broke in the shape of a massive air but paid the price losing her rig in an avalanche of white water as the came down with the breaking wave. Motoko was left to clock up points in Jaggi’s absence and sealed the deal with two more solid waves to clinch the event victory.

The PWA Hawaii Pro presented by Severne Sails is already being talked up as one of the greatest wave competitions of all time. Today was an incredible day for wave sailing with the best sailors in the world ripping it up in mind blowing conditions. The dream mens final of Polakow versus Angulo, saw some of the sickest wave sailing performances in PWA history. The event will now conclude with a huge Red Bull party to be held on the evening of April 5th at the Maui Ale house. After a week of insane PWA action, sailors will no doubt be in the mood to party on down to celebrate a superb week of incredible conditions. Check out all the action in full motion video at www.high.tv.

The PWA world tour now moves on to Leucate, France for a Super Cross event commencing on April 9th. Stay tuned to the PWA web site for all the news results and updates brought to you daily when the event kicks off.

Jason Polakow (JP, Neil Pryde)

“The conditions today were just all time. It is rare that it is this good and set up and peeling. It was perfect. Everybody was pulling of big airs, goitas and 360’s so the level has definitely gone up a couple of notches. I am just happy to win. There was an element of luck out there and any of the top ten guys could have won it. The 360 was the key move today especially against Josh who has got an amazing style with his one handed aerials and his fluent turns. I knew I had to link up a 360 with a wave with aerials at the end of it. I think that really helped me out. I am stoked”

Josh Angulo

“It was firing today and a lot of fun out there. Jason got the edge with the 360’s. He was marking big points with those. I felt confident to bust a few myself but I pulled out my foot strap on my best board. I also had a problem with my boom so it meant I did not have the time to pick and chose waves. Jason was killing it, he is a tough guy to beat when he is on fire. I had a good time and sailed what I consider really well. It is not like I got my ass kicked but he won!”

MENS RESULTS (After completed double elimination)

1. Jason Polakow (JP, Neil Pryde)
2. Josh Angulo
3. Keith Teboul
4. Kevin Pritchard (Gaastra, Starboard)

WOMENS RESULTS

1. Motoko Sato
2. Karin Jaggi (F2, Arrows)
3. Jenny Ellefson (Neil Pryde)
4. Jennifer Henderson (Starboard)

Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.

production